RX300, 60k service, certified.

Question:

for a RX300 (2000) bought with 57k miles and that was certified by the Lexus Dealer, would it make sense to wait until 70k to do the 60k service ?

I saw that Lexus dealers charge $500-$700 for this type of service.

At the time of the purchase, all brakes were changed and new battery was installed for the certification including all the 300 check points. so I was wondering if one could wait a little bit longer before doing 60k service.

Thanks,

Trunk

Reply to
Trunk

It probably is no big deal to wait, but I doubt the dealer performed the full 60K service at 57K. The certification is basically a bunch of checks on wear/tear items, but porbably doesn't include the filter, fluid changes, and parts replacements that may be required at 60K.

But you might ask to see a record of the certification service, see what it included, and then check it against what the manual says is supposed to be done at 60K. Then you could select the 60K items ala carte that weren't done during the certification, or perhaps assure yourself that there is no need for the 60K. Maybe all you need to do is change the oil and replace the cabin filter.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

If the car was sold certified it should have had the 60K service done as this is a requirement of the certification process. If the car is close to a major service it is supposed to be done for the car to be certified. Have the dealer show you the service history and check to see if it was done.

Reply to
msb

Does certification provide any assurance that the engine has been regularly serviced -- to avoid the oil gelling problem. BTW when we had a RX 300 our dealer recommended the timing belt be changed at 70k miles; its expensive.

Reply to
TWW

I know that there are far more ramifications with an interference engine, but ask your dealer if they EVER had a timing belt fail and under what circumstances. They SHOULD easily last 120K/8 years. For a non-interference engine, it is far better to take the risk (, pay $60/yr for AAA) and wait.

Reply to
Jerohm

We now have a Pilot. The Honda dealer says 105k miles -- no problem. When we had the RX300 the local dealer indicated you could not safely go past 75k with the belt because of the possibility of failure. I also note that the Pilot is far cheaper to service than the Lexus and I don't have to leave it all day. My opinion is that Lexus dealers gold plate their service because you are supposed to have the unlimited bucks to pay for it.

Reply to
twaugh5

I recently had my '96 LS400 in for its 50,000 mile service & while there asked the dealer to please check the t-belt (which I understand is comparatively easy to do). The report was that it's fine in spite of the vehicle's age.

I'm all in favor of "Preventive Maintenance" being proactively applied, but thankfully my dealership appears to show more concern for honesty & fair dealing (BBB member) than embellishment of their service department's receivables. Unless that attitude changes, I'll probably be a customer of theirs for life.

Yes, going to the Lexus shop for routine, out-of-warranty service is sure enough expensive, but buying a new car every couple of years or so is even more expensive. Unlike some people, we can't afford to trade cars every time it needs a wash job. Quite the contrary; I believe in "the forever car".

Reply to
New Owner

In news:LJOQb.12138$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com, Jerohm being of bellicose mind posted:

Absolutely ridiculous! Cam belts come in two distinctive designs with considerably different services lives. The older square tooth/dog ear belts typically have a 60k mile safe service life. The more common is the radiused toothed belt which typically has a 100k mile safe service life. Both CAN go longer DEPENDING on the particular application's belt routing ... meaning ... the number and severity of tight bends the belt is subjected to. Also, (check me), Toyota's V8s having belt driven cams are "interference" engines.

Yours is a grossly FALSE economy to wait for component failure and then pay for a tow truck ride AND the timing of such a preventable inconvenience.

Reply to
Philip®

'CAN' is somewhat of an understatment! Lexus OEM Timing belts are spec'd at LESS THAN 50% of MTBF for warranty purposes. So can you have a problem? Well sure, but it is about the same probability as a failure within the 'designated' service life. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. If you feel more comforatable replacing them every 10K, by all means be my guest.

The first generation V8 Ls400 89/90-92 are "non-interference" engines.

Reply to
Jerohm

And, when I talked with Rick Jones, he said the new 3.3L V6 engines from Toyota/Lexus ARE interference engines also!!

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169

Reply to
Curtis Newton

In news:S0TQb.28576$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com, Jerohm being of bellicose mind posted:

You pulled that 10,000 mile figure out of your nether region. I also qualified my statement by mentioning belt routing.

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Curtis Newton being of bellicose mind posted:

Ya know... it really astounds me how people can run their mouths about repairing only when breakage occurs as being cheaper than recommended preventative maintenance. Truly astounding. Nitwits all. Obviously there time is not worth anything.

Reply to
Philip®

Indeed that was a cheap shot... Sorry. My point is that inspections at a regularity equal to that of the fluid changes is all that is really needed. Changing for the sake of changing is pretty wasteful (as is the false sense of urgency pertetuated by those who stand to benefit). The Lexus OEM belt is more likely to fail due to age (deterioration), than mileage (wear) - unless something else is wrong. That is not to say that knock off belts are built to the same standard... I don't know. Even I wouldn't risk more than

120K/8yrs!
Reply to
Jerohm

In news:5%UQb.12199$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com, Jerohm being of bellicose mind posted:

Apology accepted.

Belt material work hardening is not something that is visible to the naked eye. Carcass fibers found sticking out of the edges of the belt are the only visual clues to a belt that has been in service too long. I also disagree with your age vs. mileage assertion. Mileage is age because of heat and the number of times the belt has run over the various pulleys being flexed back and forth.

Where do you get this 120k/8yrs notion? Is this in print anywhere I can view the entire context?

Reply to
Philip®

Not only your comment, but IME there are very few rebuilt engines that run anything like as well as an untouched engine.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful