RX300 Check Engine P0171 code

Hi all. We have a 2000 RX300 with 52K miles. The check engine idiot light just came on. We had it checked at the dealer and they diagnosed a running lean condition and that we needed a new Air Flow Meter. Does anyone have any experience with this? If it is the AFM, where can I purchase one other than the dealer?

Thanks for your help.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

In news:zLdRb.26516$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net, Lee being of bellicose mind posted:

hehehehhee.... dig deep into your wallet. And remember ... keep that air filter clean and NEVER put a K&N in place of stock paper.

Reply to
Philip®

Glad to see you are enjoying this Philip... Thanks for you well thought out, and may I add extremely mature, response.

Reply to
Lee

So if something gets past the air filter it will damage the air flow meter? Would the type of damage be a physical strike on the grid by a particle, thus wrecking the grid, or maybe coat it with some substance that causes the meter to perform poorly? Or can they go bad just because?

BTW google lexus parts and you may find an aftermarket vendor. Let me know if they're any good. I use lexus parts on my GS300 even down to the brake pads.

Reply to
rgm

In news:F6gRb.18017$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.texas.rr.com, rgm being of bellicose mind posted:

Unfortunately, the truth is these hot wire sensors are VERY VERY unforgiving about dust, oil, or any other conductive substance on its delicate surface. NOT cleanable either. This is one of those cases where genuine Toyota Parts is called for.

Reply to
Philip®

Try

Factory parts from a dealer, but cheaper...

Reply to
SW

Thanks for the insight into Lexus. I've had a K&N in a Mazda Miata for many years with no problems. But, since I'm really not looking for the last few percent of HP in our Lexus, I'm not sure I would ever consider running a K&N filter in it anyway.

Gus (99 RX300)

Reply to
Gus