RX300 mechanical problem any suggestions appreciated.

Today when I was driving home from work, I heard a rhythmic "Thump" noise from the right rear of my 2003 RX300. I thought I had a flat tire. I stopped the vehicle but didn't turn it off, got out, and the right rear tire seemed fine. So I continued driving and the thumping noise shifted to the right rear. I drove to a local auto store (Strauss) and pulled into the parking space. When I depressed the brake, I heard a LOUD noise similar to a metal plate dropping on the ground. I turned off the vehicle, checked all the tire pressures (they were fine) and looked under the vehicle. All seemed fine. I started the RX, shifted to reverse, backed up and hit the brake. Once again, the loud metal plate sound occurred. From then on, everything seemed fine. I find this strange. My Lexus dealer is 30 miles away and getting an appointment would be a two week wait when I'm going to be away. My feeling though is everything is either going to be fine, or something is going to have a major failure that will require a tow to Lexus. Anyone out there with technical knowlege have any idea what might have caused these noises? The driveline? ABS?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Grabowski

I would recommend you go to dealer immediately and insist the service person ride with you to hear the noise. Otherwise, you may get the usual "we could not duplicate the problem." Then request a loaner for the two weeks the car will sit awaiting repairs. Maybe they will move faster. But, given your description, it certainly does not appear to be the ABS. Usually, you will get a muffled thud or click once when first starting out. A continual noise like you describe would seem to be something hanging up in the brake system.

Reply to
twaugh5

It could maybe be a brake shield that is hitting against the suspension. Do you hear this more when you go on bumps? I know the Camry had a TSB on a similar problem if memory serves.

Reply to
Car Guy

The brake shield was a problem on my 96 Infiniti G20t once. I drove the RX yesterday and it seemed to be normal, no strange noises. The brake pedal seemed to go a bit lower than I recall, but I checked the brake fluid and it was fine. I forgot to mention that for a couple of days prior to when the thumping noise occurred, I heard a resonance from the right rear when I accelerated from a stop. I thought it might be part of the exhaust system that had loosened up a bit, and figured I'd have it check in December, the next scheduled service. As for now, if the noise reappears, assuming it's M-Sat, I'll drive it right to the Lexus shop (I might call Roadside assistance while I was on the way to have them contact the service manager so he'd expect me). Either the problem corrected itself or whatever was making the noise fell off. Hopefully, not part of the exhaust system!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Grabowski