RX300 Tune Up Parts

I have an '02 RX with 73,000 miles on it and wanted to tune it up (plugs, wires, cap & rotor & fuel filter). When I called my local auto parts store all they had were the plugs. They said the fuel filter might only be replaceable by the dealer and the car might not have a cap & rotor. Anyone tune theirs up and have any advice or experiences they can share??

Thanks,

Alex

Reply to
Alex

How are you doing,Alex. The '02 RX300 does not have wires, cap, nor rotor. It is a coil/boot combo that rides atop the spark plug and is fired electronically.

Also, the RX does not have an external fuel filter. The only thing it has is a fuel sock that is in the fuel tank, and is not a maintenance item.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
lexuspartsdept

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:27:06 -0500, lexuspartsdept wrote (in article ):

Thanks Lexus Parts Dept. So then what are the normal tune up procedures for this vehicle?? Just plugs and air filter?? And how often for plugs?? I can't seem to find a service interval for plugs in my owners manuals. So the "fuel sock" is maintainance free??

Thanks,

Alex

Reply to
The Man

Sorry it took so long. The recomended replacement on the plug is

100,000 miles. I would never let them stay any longer than 60,000, as they could sieze in the head making an expensive repair. The fuel sock is similar to a screen window. It keeps smaller particles from getting into the system.In todays world, they say that's all that is necessary.It requires no maintance unless damaged. The filter at the pump is enough, they say. Normal tune up or maintainance is a objective thing. The factory has recomendations as do different dealers.Oil every 3,000-5,000, every 30,000 oil, air, trans service, gear lube, is all we do here in terms of DIY. Tire rotate, rebalance, brake adjustment is also done at this time.

I hope this helps you out.

Reply to
lexuspartsdept

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:54:39 -0500, lexuspartsdept wrote (in article ):

Thanks Lexus Parts. That helps me out a-lot. Alex

Reply to
The Man

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:01:02 -0500, The Man wrote (in article ):

I have another question if your still watching this post. How often should the antifreeze be changed in this car?? I have read that the first change should be done at three years and every two years thereafter. Some in this forum claim that the Toyota red antifreeze lasts up to five years. What is your view on this??

Thanks,

Alex

Reply to
The Man

The coolant in the '02 RX300 is a 5 year coolant. However, I, and our shop, recommends changing it every 3 years or 30,000 miles. It's cheap insurance that the system is functioning properly, and I really feel that anything longer is allowing the coolant to break down that much longer, providing less protection.

Reply to
lexuspartsdept