RX300 VIBRATION

I have a 99 RX300, AWD. After an hour or more at ighway speeds it gets a vibration somewhere in the front end. It rattles the steering wheel fiercely. The steering is not affected, it does not "pull" left or right. It does not seem to want to accelerate when this is happening, and seem to get worse as I slow the car. After I pull off the road and sit for a minute, it is fine. I do not shut down the motor when I pull off. I have had the front end aligned, the tires balanced, new brakes in front. Had it to 4 shops including 2 dealers for this and it is not solved. Has anyone else out there had this problem? Solved it?

Reply to
Tom Waters

I would be looking at parts that are susceptible to friction, and the resultant heat, buildup. You described a brake replacement, so I guess that eliminates a dragging pad.

I think the next time this situation occurs, and on a road where it is completely safe, quickly get yourself around the exterior of the car. You would be looking, feeling, or smelling for anything visible, very hot, or burn-like.

You might even want to do this test at night where the failing part might show some sign not easily seen in the daylight. If it's really getting hot, really hot, you may be able to see a glow in the dark.

I only visit this group due to a family member ownership. So, I really have little knowledge of the brand.

But, although I suspect not possible, if you could disable/ deactivate/disengage this AWD, that might lend some clue(s).

If it were a non AWD vehicle(which I don't know what parts are spinning during operation), I'd be looking at something like a bad wheel bearing that's heating and failing from the friction and expansion.

It could also be caused by anything throughout the chassis, front or rear, even though it seems to be front end related.

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Walker

If I understand you, the car is OK after you pull off the road and sit for a while -- so the problem is intermittent. You also say that you cannot accelerate when this vibration occurs. Probably not a balance or wheel problem . Perhaps a CV joint. Are you sure it is not engine related?

Reply to
TWW