RX330 design flaws

The latest Consumer Reports just came and once again the have the RX330/RX400H and Highlander as the best of the mid-sized SUV's.

That may be true, but the fact remains that Lexus missed the boat in a several ways with the 330.

For`example, the rear window does not open. that means you must open the entire hatch to access the cargo area. An annoyance given how slow it opens. Further, it means that you pretty much are out of luck if you have a bike on a hitch as the door will hit the bike rack when it opens.

The cargo area is actually quite small unless you drop the rear seats. But they do fold flat because Lexus failed to design the rear seat lower cushions so they can flip forward. GM managed to put that basic feature in the competing SRX, which has more room to start with.. Why not Lexus?

The hood falls away so quickly, that it is hard to have any confidence when maneuvering in tight quarters. They put a video camera in the back. They should have had one on the right front, as well.

Why bother with the sliding rear seats? Would have been just as good setting them to mid travel and saving the expensive of the sliding bases.

Why bother with the sliding front center console? What good does it do?

The need to "I agree" to the navigation prompt EVERY TIME YOU TURN ON THE ENGINE is enough to drive anyone nuts. This is nanny state to an absurd extent.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice car and I'm glad we got it, but I would be more glad if Lexus had not stopped thinking as soon as they did.

- GRL

Reply to
GLitwinski

enough so that the window misses the rack when it raises. I suggest that anyone getting a rack make sure that their's does the same thing. SG

Reply to
slosaul

I am not surprised if they have high scores. Although it is a matter of personal taste and opinion, I consider that the RX330 has a very modern, neat but pleasing design. Everytime you see them on the road, your personal acception to the styling and appearance of this vehicle grows on you. Compare it with other luxury SUVs ( X3/X5, MB/FX45/MDX/Cayenne/Touareg), I found personally that RX is the best. Perhaps Touareg is far following the second spot. I did not even include all of the american counterparts, as they are generally inferior in quality. Of course, you can never find a perfect car. You just have to pick the one that meet to your requirements, taste, lifestyle, etc. Overall... I have not seen any other SUV that comes close in its appearance than the RX330. It is an outstanding design, and it stands tall above the others. People considers that the SC model is a thumb down for Lexus, but it is a thumb up for the RX.

Reply to
aniramca

If you dislike it that much, buy something else that you do like. Simple!

Reply to
Wayne

What brand/model do you have?

Thanks.

Reply to
GLitwinski

Don't know about others, but we had such good luck with our '92 LS after over a dozen years, that Lexus has earned our trust for reliability. Made an RX330 a logical choice as a small SUV.

I am disappointed with the modest capacity, lack of opening rear window, lack of fold-flat seats because these have all been done right by others and Lexus/Toyota should have done it right. Not a deal killer, but disappointing coming from such a thoughtful company.

Kind of hope somebody at Toyota reads this and understands there is easy room for improvement.

To be honest, if the Caddy SRX or new Merc M-Class came with a good diesel, I'd have had a hard time passing them by for the RX. Both have more sensible interiors in terms of space and the Merc is at least as nice.

- GRL

Reply to
GLitwinski

My '05 RX330 gripes in no particular order:

- Rain/snow drips into the front seats when you open the driver/front passenger doors.

- Rain/snow doesn't drain well around the rear-view mirrors.

- Rear window gets dirty easily.

- Crappy transmission. The hesitation fix is lame and doesn't really work.

- The front-seat passenger seatbelt rattles when no one is sitting there.

- Agree that the sliding center console is useless.

I rarely use the luggage area/backseat to comment.

Reply to
BBQ

Lexus makes a different product than they did back in the early 90's. They are subject to globalization of manufacturing, which takes some of the control out of their hands. They also are getting more input from America in the design of their vehicles, more than they ever did in the early 90's. So if there are design faults in the newest models, you may only need to look as far away as California to find the source of the poor guidance. The Japanese know how to make a great car, it's when they take too much influence from America and source their parts from 3rd world countries that they expose themselves to a less refined product.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

You may be right, but I think that the Japanese still keep close control of the store. The hired help in LA LA Land is just the hired help. Decisions, good or bad, are made in Japan. For example, the engine sludge and transmission problems definitely originate in Japan.

- GRL

Reply to
GLitwinski

You're right, they are taking a more active role now in monitoring quality. They've added a quality control position for their North American factories, something Lexus never had to do in their early days. When they had better control over their parts suppliers, they never had to worry about the final product quality. It's like if you build a bomb shelter to withstand a nuclear blast, it doesn't concern you if a pebble gets thrown at it. There was never any question that they made a quality product because they went far above marginal quality standards. Can the American worker be motivated enough to build a quality product in the Toyota/Lexus factories? Only through strict quality controls put in place by the Japanese management. I don't trust America these days to have the committment, desire, and dedication that we did a couple of generations ago. It's a whole different era, and our society just doesn't seem to have the backbone of our grandparents and great-grandparents.

"GLitwinski" wrote in message news:NIF1f.1622$ snipped-for-privacy@fe07.lga...

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

After having driven it for a bit now, the transmission noise and lack of refinement in shifting is getting annoying. This thing's transmission is light years behind our 1992 LS400.

Disappointing.

Reply to
GRL

Probably best to consider it a product of the Americanization of Toyota, or perhaps the globalization. I don't feel that Toyota is producing the same quality product that they were 10 years ago. They are still the industry leader in quality, in my opinion, I just think they're in a tenacious spot right now, and they need to make the right decisions going forward.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

TSIB for many of these. The dealer can reprogam and reset.

Reply to
Bo Yancey

Here's another flaw for you. The RX330 does not seem to attract and male buyers. It seems I am the only male owner of a RX330 in the entire Dallas, Texas area.

RX330 might be great for your wife, but if you are a man, think twice before buying it.

In fact, if you observe the drivers of Lexus cars, about 70-80% are women. Of course, I didn't notice this until after I got the car.

Does anyone share this observation?

Reply to
Paul

Some more flaws:

  1. the door design is crazy - in a rain, water will always get on the nice leather seats.
  2. the rear hatch does not have a key - if you loose power for some reason (like I did), you can NOT open the hatch unless you crawl into the back and use the emergency release.
  3. the automatic rain wipers are never spot on - they could have saved a few bucks and let me do my own switching - which I do.
  4. sunroof tilt switch is oddly placed. can get hit by mistake when pressing the garage door opener button - could be user error, but a more positive switch would have been better.
  5. more wind noise than one expects in a N of ,000 vehicle

PS: I am a male buyer too - possibly one of the few in the North East!

Reply to
sapper

I have made the same observation in Houston as well. You can almost count on an RX to be driven by a woman!

My wife says it's because "There is a good place to put my purse". Personally I have other criteria for selecting a car, but what makes her happy is what's important, since the RX is her car!

Nevertheless, I do appreciate and approve of the design of the RX, and I am not ashamed to drive it. I just prefer to drive my Audi if possible. I like precision German handling characteristics, but I also like the reliability of Japanese cars. And, my wife wants to spend no time with her car in the shop, so she is perfectly happy with the Lexus.

To each his ( or her ) own!

Reply to
Stephen Clark

Same here, wife LOVES her RX330. Says it drives just like her old ES300, but she enjoys the AWD and sitting up higher. She hates how low she sits in my Audi A4.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

New A6 is nice, but it's nothing new over the older A6. I was comparing the A6 to the Avalon before making the Avalon purchase, which was over

11k cheaper for just as many goodies and far superior reliability. Granted the A6 has more power, and handles sharper, but it's a tradeoff. If you are looking at comparing something with your A6, take a look at the new GS300 AWD. It's a beauty.
Reply to
NYLexSC

Gee thanks for that little tidbit Paul. Now down here in Houston, I'm probably the only girley-man driving an RX-330. :-)

I hadn't really noticed but now every time I see an RX I'll definitely be looking...

I love the RX though.

Reply to
KJB

Regardless of whether or not the RX330 appeals to females more, they are extremely nice vehicles. Think of it this way. At least you're not driving a Mazda She-ata or a Mitsubishi She-clipse. :-)

Take care--and just enjoy your RX330. Again, they're exceptionally nice rides!!!

Regards,

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.