Satillite Radio For 2004 ES330 w/Nav/ML

The 2004 ES330 with Nav/ML has an AM-SAT button. I understand that means that the car is "satellite radio ready." I read in an edmunds discussion group that a kit is going to be available soon to get XM Satellite radio, but the guy said it was going to cost about $800. This price sounds outrageous to me since I understand that an XM receiver costs about $125.

Does anyone have any information on this? Is there an aftermarket product?

Reply to
David Z

I don't have specific information but it given that OEM car GPS systems, car phones, and stereo systems cost several times what add-on aftermarket systems costs, I bet this price is probably what you'll have to pay if you want an integrated system.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

The price you heard for the Lexus add-on is approx the same that I heard, and you're right, that's absurd. The aftermarket stuff will work, but of course doesn't "integrate" transparently, meaning that your radio display in the dash won't display the name of the artist & tune like it would otherwise. Also, there is no direct connection to the Lexus sound system available, meaning that you'd have to use the casette adaptor and set the selector to "tape". This works, tho the fidelity is lacking and audio purists won't be happy. Still $800 sure seems like a disproportionate amount of gelt to have to lay down just for the Lexus XM option. Anyone who goes for it is (IMO) living proof that a fool and his money are soon parted.

For anyone on the fence, let me just say this. I've got XM in my Dodge Ram pickup using an aftermarket kit, but it's hardwired in to an aux input on the sound system and so sounds really great. However, having had it for 3 months now I'm less enthusiastic about it today than I was when I first put it in. I enjoy '70 hits but it seems like XM plays a whole lot of the 'B-side' cuts and not a lot of what I bought it to hear.

It's >The 2004 ES330 with Nav/ML has an AM-SAT button. I understand that

Reply to
New Owner

Thanks for the info.

I realize that you car buy an XM receiver and put it in any car. That's not what I meant by "aftermarket." When I said aftermarket, I was talking about a product that would integrate with the car's sound system, etc. just like the Lexus kit.

Reply to
David Z

To the best of my knowledge there is nothing in the way of any aftermarket auto sound equipment that will "integrate" or correctly hook straight up to any factory-original Lexus sound system, regardless of what it is.

Lexus has made sure that your fine Lexus car will either be "all Lexus" or else it will have to be butchered by "Dumb and Dumber" after which Lexus won't service that component anymore (except maybe tear it all out and replace it with a factory stock system again).

Reply to
New Owner

My 04 LS430 had the AM /Satellite button. I added the Lexus XM tuner installed by the dealer. It was $740 and installed last December when they first came out. It is fully integrated and works great. The only problem is the Head unit only displays 12 characters of the 20 broadcast for song information. I recently got a dealer ad with a $400 special for XM installation This was from Lexus of Highland Park, just north of Chicago. This seems more reasonable with the tuner kit (Pioneer) costing around $200 non Lexus at Best Buy and 2 hrs dealer labor to install. By the way the non Lexus tuner kit from Pioneer doesn't have compatible connectors to use in a Lexus.

Reply to
Frank Fitzgerald

Thanks for the info. Some questions:

- How's the sound quality compared to FM? compared to other XM receivers (i.e., do you get premium sound for the premium price)?

- Where's the antenna? How does it look?

straight up

Reply to
David Z

My son's Honda Accord is the same, permanent mount and same color as the car.

It's a lot of stuff that I don't even recognize or remember. I'm not necessarily wanting all the top 40 from the 70s era, but I sure would like a little more than I'm getting. I've almost abandoned the music in favor of the comedy.

If I feel the same way 3 months from now when my sub comes up for quarterly renewal, I may cancel.

A friend of mine just got the "new" Roady which now includes a programmable stock scroll. Since installing it he's had 2 really close calls for accidents and quite a few 1-finger salutes from other drivers who notice he's being distracted by something in the car. I sure wouldn't want that on mine for the exact reason that it'd be a distraction.

Reply to
New Owner

I have Sirius sat. radio in my LS400, and it's great. The programing is really good. I listen to mostly 70's and it's always good! I've had it almost a year now, and never use the CD or the radio. Bill

Reply to
Bill T

On my 4Runner, I had them hard wire into the antenna cable and then use the FM modulator. Sounds really good. I did not have an option of doing anything else (2003 model). Just FYI

Reply to
Dan J. S.

Reply to
Frank Fitzgerald

Trust me, if you're happy with the FM modulator, you'd be ecstatic with a direct-wire connection. I've had both and there simply is no comparison. I understand you -can't- but you at least have the option of pulling the factory system and replacing it with something that WILL accept a direct-wire connection. We Lexus owners are stuck.

Reply to
New Owner

Oh, I know. I also have the Lexus ES330, and called my dealer about the XM radio. They dont offer it yet, only on the LS 430. If I could hard wire, I would...

Reply to
Dan J. S.

Yes, I just purchased a Roady2 for my GX470, The mounted the radio on my A/C vent next to the radio.

With the FM transmitter, it gave me a great sound.

My installer sent the wires directly to fuse panel on left side near foot. Antenna mounted on dashboard close to windshield.

I love it.

Reply to
Charles