SC Replacement tires

Am needing to replace tires on my "93 SC400.

2 out of 3 trie dealer salesmen have suggested that I would be happy with an H rated tire as opposed to the V rated tire that I have had on the wheels. One dealer suggested that I might feel the difference in response and handling. Any opinions? We are seniors who use the car for normal freeway and highway driving as well as local driving--certainly no slalom or the like. The tires I am looking at are: Bridgestone Turanza-LS V (highest price--$683.96 for 4) Turanza LS H ((507) Bridgestone Potenza H ($504) Michelin MXV4 (Hrated-- ($556) Bridgestone Eager P ($451- seems to be available only at Firestone company store)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to
David S

If I were you, I wouldn't pay for more than $350 for a set of H rated tires including tax, installation, hazard and everything. In fact, for my LS400, american made tires in the range of $60 each are excellent enough. May I give you a suggestion? Go to your Sam's store nearby. They do treat customer right and honest. Good tires do not cost that much these days.

Reply to
fpharryc

I have had two SC 400's ('95 & '98). I put H rated tires on the '95 with no problem. However, when I went to buy tires for the '98, the salesman told me (and I believe him) that if you put H rated tires on a car that the car manufacturer says should have V rated or higher, the tire manufacturer will not honor the mileage warranty for the H rated tires. It seems that most H rated tires have some sort of mileage warranty while I haven't seen any higher rated tire with one.

Of course, if you're not going to get any kind of warranty with V rated or higher, I guess it doesn't matter if you put H rated tires on your car and void that part of the warranty.

Just food for thought.

David

Reply to
David

You need my world famous "tire summary", which will tell you all kinds of things about replacement tires. It's quite old, but it has some of the tires you list. I compiled it when I had my '92 SC300. Do a Google search for "jim battan tire summary".

Reply to
Jim Battan

In news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, David being of bellicose mind posted:

Were I a tire manufacturer, I too would NOT honor any warranty claim against a tire set having a speed rating lower than the electronic speed limiter on the car the tires are mounted on. Think about that the liability.

Reply to
Philip®

Get Michelin. The V is better, but if you don't have the $s and are willing to take the risk, go with the H.

Reply to
MCBRUE

things about replacement tires. It's quite old, but it

Google search for "jim battan tire summary".

Thanks to all for the advice!

Reply to
David S