Sedans - Infiniti G35 vs. Acura 3.2 TL vs. Lexus IS300

I'm shopping around for a car. So far, I've been considering the following:

- Infiniti G35 (4 Dr STD AWD Sedan)

- Acura TL (4 Dr 3.2 Sedan)

- Lexus IS 300 (4 Dr STD Sedan)

Any opinions and/or other recommendations?

Also, I've heard that there are websites where buyers can enter the specifics of the car (make, model, options, color, etc.) that they are looking for and the system will be able to locate it for them. Anyone know about this?

Reply to
Lynn

How about the Toyota Avalon, have you considered this, and even the Nissan Maxima? Both have been rated as very reliable by Consumer Reports.

Reply to
Jeremiah

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:57:12 GMT, "Lynn" removed the duct tape and proclaimed:

Lexus is for whimps and really old people, and the Infiniti is for people with no taste in cars. I would definitely go for the Acura.

(hehe)

-- I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.

Reply to
Bruno

Good thing they still don't make Yugo's or maybe that should be on the list as well...... Go with the Acura. Drive them all and you'll see no comparison.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S. Moore

The Avalon is for people who find a Buick Century to be threateningly racy.

Reply to
Michael Scheer

And for those who think that the Ford Crown Victoria is too harsh-riding and nimble.

Reply to
Dan Drake

Based on the input that I've received so far, it's now down to either the Acura or the Lexus. The Lexus is still under consideration since two mechanics (from Porsche shops) picked it. I think they like the rear-wheel drive of the Lexus even though it has only 215 hp compared to Acura's 270 hp. Also, Lexus has a good reputation for quality and reliability.

Between Acura and Lexus, which would be more costly to maintain? And, which would be more costly to insure? Some actual numbers would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Lynn

I can't imagine that the maintenance cost of these two cars would be THAT different.

Drive them both and buy the one that inspires you.

Reply to
David Z

I've driven the TL and several of the G35's extensively. Tough choice, but the G35 was more fun while the TL was more luxurious. I would be totally satisfied with a G35 equipped with a six-speed transmission, but their automatic was okay too.

Reply to
ppointer

Lexus is for people with enough brains to purchase a vehicle made by the manufacturer that has consistently had THE BEST quality ratings in the world over the past decade or more. Sure they've had some transmission lag issues with certain models. Sure they've had some other quality issues. But when you compare the quality of the 'average' Lexus vehicle against the quality of the 'average' vehicle from ALL of their competitors, Lexus wins hands down my friend. Lastly, Lexus resale values are second to none these days.

Now, for the original question. I think that the TL's body style looks the best out of the three vehicles that you are shopping. Also, I believe that it has the best interior quality and style. However, by my definition, the IS300 handles better than the TL or the G35. And I prefer the IS300's brakes over the competition too. I would be willing to bet that the initial build quality of the IS300 is the best of the three--and its downstream reliability would be superior as well. Some *minor* complaints that I have with my own IS300 are:

-Small rear seat (Not that big of a deal since it's usually just my wife and I riding in it)

-Prop rod for hood support (Again, not a major problem)

-Space-invading gooseneck trunk lid hinges

-Average gas mileage guage is pretty much worthless (This guage should be replaced with something that is actually useful)

-Fuel economy is not good at all for an engine of its displacement

Other than these minor issues, the vehicle has been letter perfect. Not a single quality issue since purchasing the vehicle almost three years ago.

J. Perry

Reply to
J. Perry

I've had an IS300 manual transmission for 3 years and second all the good and bad points. The quality is fantastic and the handling is great. Lexus did keep costs down by doing things like the prop rod hood and gooseneck hinges on the trunk. The 3-liter 6 is basically the same one Toyota put in the Supra 10+ years ago. It is very smooth (you almost have to look at the tach when the engine's idling to be sure it's still running), and very rugged (it's cast iron and in racing trim is easily capable of putting out 600 horses while still maintaining reliability). However at 215 hp it's a bit less powerful than the competition and gets only fair mileage to boot.

I see the IS's competition not as other Japanese cars, but rather as the 3-series BMW. I looked at a 330 but decided that although the BMW did a better job with the "little" things (hood and trunk have gas struts, interior is a bit nicer), it was $5000 more expensive, and just not worth it. Throw in crappy German reliability and the choice was easy. There was no G35 or TL when I was shopping, but if there was I would have considered them as well.

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff

Love the detailed info ... thanks!!!

About the prop rod, what's wrong with it? Or, is it missing one?

Reply to
Lynn

Reply to
Buckshop LeFunk

The concept of a prop-rod is very cheap, very not-Lexus.

Some things define the line between mainstream consumer Toyotas and higher end Lexuses. The hood support is, or should be, one of them. Lower end cars get prop rods. Higher end cars get hinges that stay on their own.

But not the IS300, apparently. Even Lexus is cheapening out.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Hinge lifts and gas struts fail. All of them.

Prop rods aren't just infinitely reliable, they're elegant. No need to overengineer the issue.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

For insurance, get a quote from your provider. Every state and provider is different.

As far as HP goes, consider both city fuel mileage and actual 0-60 times and quarter mile times. (You might have to google.com for them, but they do exist). There is a lot more to a car's performance than the HP number.

The Lexus and Acura dealers are high on fluff, cost, and lower on value when it comes to service. If you ask them to change your blinker fluid, they probably would 'do' it, charge $150, keep the car for a day, and give you a courtesy rental and a mint on the seat. In other words, they give you a little pampering to disguise the fact their prices are way inflated. The

30k, 60k service packages are exorbitant in both cases. The biggest factor in service cost is probably how down-to-earth your local dealer is.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Hands down, Acura TL. I test drove one ( Seriously thinking about dumping my ES330 with the transmission lag issue) and the Acural TL drives like a BMW with the reliability of a Lexus... So best of both worlds...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

I have had bad experiences with both in wind. Struts and springs are susceptible to being overpowered by wind trying to close the hood, but prop rods can be released by wind catching under the hood, then bringing the hood down with great force. A couple years ago I had a near miss when a prop rod let go while I was bending toward the engine compartment, and the corner of the hood hit the bridge of my glasses and snatched them off my face. If I had been a quarter inch closer it would have gouged my face to the bone from forehead to nose; if I had been two inches closer the corner of the hood would have penetrated the top of my skull. I think it is time to at least adequately engineer the issue.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Dont prop rods have an "s" hook on them to prevent uplift? My Frontier does and it restrains the hood from going up or down.

Also, wasn't that a "near hit"? :>

Reply to
Rob Munach

My daughter's '93 Honda Accord has just a plastic knob on the end. My son's '94 Integra has an S end. Must be a hit-or-miss thing.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee