starting problems

I have a 1992 Lexus SC 300 that initially had a problem starting in that I would turn the key and get absolutely nothing...no lights, no sounds...dead silence. After about 3-8 tries the car would eventually start. This was very sporadic and the problem was that everytime I took it to the mechanic, the car would start fine, so they could never detect the problem altho they thought either worn ignition switch or relay. This has been going on 2 months. However, now all of a sudden, when I have starting problems, the lights DO come on, but the car still won't start.....one click as if it is a bad starter. A bad starter doesn't explain the previous problem of no lights, etc. however. My starter is only 4 years old. The battery is 4 months old and truthfully, all the problems began after the new battery was put in. According to my mechanic tho., the battery is OK as they have checked it and connections. It's now been 3 months of starter problems...The mechanic has seen the problem when the lights go on, but never caught it when there was nothing. Any suggestions as to what is causing all the trouble? Too may things seem to be going bad?

Reply to
lexuslady

Has anyone scanned the computer for codes? It could be the neutral safety switch, but I think somebody should see if there are any codes in the memory. Hope this helps.

Reply to
ESmith

This is Turtle.

I had this on a 1990 Lexus back about 5 years ago and it was the switch that keeps the car from starting while in gear to go and not in park. Some way this switch ties into the gear shift and the stearing wheel. So

When you get in the car to crank it. first move stearing wheel from left to right and back & forth 1 or 2 times. Then shove the gear shift forward in park and wiggle it some. then it will crank fine if it is this switch. Don't ask me where this switch is for my fellow who works on them changed it out.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

press the shift override button and if it starts, you know it is the neutral/park safety switch. JA

Reply to
Ackerman