steering rack boots

AUL readers, I have a 92 LS400 on which one of the steering rack boots has broken. I checked with the dealer about replacing it but was told that they only replace the whole assembly for many bucks. Has anyone out there had just the boot replaced. The rack doesn't leak so I can't see the need to replace it. Your input is appreciated in advance. elmarsa snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com

Reply to
elmarsa

It needs to be there to keep dirt out. It must be possible to get a boot from a different car or even a universal boot that will fit.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful