Strange window behavior

My '04 GS430, evey once in a while, when I close my drivers window, it will close and then open half way. I close it again, and once again, all the way closed then half way open. This will happen three or four times, then it works normally.

It's happened on three seperate occasions in the last six months or so. Not a big deal, but mildly annoying. Anybody else ever experienced this, or know what may cause it?

Reply to
DaveW

It has a safety switch to prevent idiots from closing the windows on their throats. (I propose that Darwin should rule, but Toyota differs with me.)

The safety switch is failing. I don't know if the sensor is in the motor itself or is elsewhere. If it's the motor, it's expensive.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll have them check it next service. It's under warranty, so it won't cost me anything (CPO, bought 8 mos ago).

Reply to
DaveW

As Elmo pointed out, the windows with auto-up feature have a safety circuit to prevent injury from entrapment in the window, although it is not really a switch. The system monitors current draw in the motors and reverses direction if current draw is too high. Make sure that the window tracks are free from dirt, debris, and obstructions and the weather-stripping is not too tight against the glass. You can try spraying silicone lube on the window tracks, and if that doesn't work, then the shop will have to check the motor and regulator.

Try pulling the switch up partway instead of engaging the auto up feature to get the window closed.

Reply to
Ray O

I'll try that next time. Thanks.

Reply to