Strut Mount Bushing

1999 ES300 Non Adaptive suspension, Strut mount bushing. Can this bushing be installed from the top of the car? I see under the hood on the fender there are three studs coming through holding the strut in place with a cap type cover. Is the bushing under that? I can get the kit but I don't wanna buy it if the part needs to be installed under the car. I was thinking it might be easy to do it from the top if that's the case.

How does that work?

Reply to
Sluggo

Unfortunately, in order to replace the strut mount bushing, the strut assembly has to come out of the car, and you need a strut spring compressor to replace the bushing, and an alignment afterwards. Basically, the labor, skills, and equipment needed to replace the strut mount bushing is the same as to replace the strut.

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah, Toyota had design problems with the strut mounts during those years. The bad mountscan damage the struts as well. The defective mounts were replaced free under the standard warranty per technical service bulletin, but you're way out to ask for post-warranty coverage.

It would be better to get complete assemblies like the Monroe QuickStrut so you have all new components. About $200 per corner and $30-50 each to install. Get an alignment afterwards.

johngdole

Actually, the bad strut mounts have not caused any damage to the struts.

Reply to
Ray O