Switching to Lexus from Mercedes...

Ok, my family has always owned all American cars, as far back as I can remember, and we tend to keep cars for about 10 years. After having a re-occurring timing-belt issue on a particular Chevrolet, in 1999 we happened upon a used 1997 E420. Bought it, our first "foreign" car, and still have it to this day. We keep our cars maintained very well, always hand-washing once a week, doing all oil changes (Mobil 1 synthetic) and things on time and at the MB dealer. However, in 2002, when the car was just five years young, the front-right shock tower rusted completely through and had to be re-welded and repaired for a cost of over $3000. Mercedes blamed it on the fact that Chicago uses salt on the roads in the winter!?! I couldn't believe it, as none of our previous cars ever had ANY rust problems. Anyway, after a battle with the dealer, they agreed to pay half of the repairs, although we were still unhappy. Just had the car in again last week for new tires, and when I get the car back, the driver's-side mirror glass is hanging from mirror housing. I notice this as soon as the porter pulled the car around. I get the service manager, and he says that I have no way of proving that it wasn't broken

*before* I brought it in for the tires. They want me to pay over $500 for a new mirror, which *they* broke! After an hour of arguements, we settled on me paying half of the mirror cost, which was just under $200. So, I have to bring the car back in because they had to order the parts. So, come back in, they fix the mirror, and the porter pulls the car around for me. Normally, they come in and give me the keys. This time, he pulled it outside and left it running! So, I leave, and as soon as I take the key out of the ignition, it falls apart! The button and the spring that pop the key out of the remote were missing! So, AGAIN, I go back to have them fix it, and they claim that it wasn't broken when they had it! Seems funny that the porter wouldn't bring me the keys (first time that's EVER happened), and since no parts fell out of the key onto the floormats, it's obvious someone knew it was broken before they started my car and drove it around for me. After another hour of arguing, they agreed to buy me a new key. Back in 1999, my father was so impressed with my E-class, that he ordered a brand-new, 2000 E430 4matic. The car is now four years old, and has barely 20,000 miles. This car is driven 2-3 times a week, for about 15-20 miles each trip. So, low mileage, but the trips are long enough to heat up the engine/oil. Because of Mercedes "Flexible Service Program", they wouldn't service the car when we wanted to change the oil, not even after 5000 miles. Now, the car is our of warranty, so we took it in the day after Thanksgiving for an oil change (brought our own Mobil 1 as usual). After dropping it off, we get a call saying that we need a fuel filter, spark plugs, and a new "hub" for the 4matic system. Total cost? Over $1500!!! For a car that only has 20,000 miles on it??? According to the Mercedes tech, "they've been having some problems with the 4matic systems." If Mercedes is having the problems, then why are the customers forced to pay for it? My father is so furious about this, he is going to trade the car and buy a new Lexus LS430. He had planned on driving the E430 for 200,000 miles or more, but not with costs like this at just 20,000 miles. In 2001, we bought a Toyota Sequoia to replace an aging 1992 Suburban, and my sister just bought a Honda Pilot. True, these aren't exciting cars, but the Sequoia hasn't had a single problem and it has 80,000 miles on it already. I know Mercedes are more complex than most American cars, and someJapanese cars. I know that German cars in general possess an unexplainable "soul" when you drive them, compared to most cars. Has anyone else made the switch to a Lexus from a Mercedes? Are you happy, or do you miss the supposed "driving pleasure" of a MB? Mercedes slogan of "Like No Other" seems easy to make fun of with our recent experiences with their service department. No wonder they are doing away in 2005 with their "free maintenance" program - it's costing them too much money. Anyway, my dad is leaning towards the LS430, and I'm anxious to see the new GS coming out in the spring. I just wish the V8 was available with AWD like the V6. Randy Chicago, IL
Reply to
Randy S

I've owned 7 Mercedes and 5 Lexuses. Trust me, once you own the Lex, you will NEVER, EVER go back. Your Mercedes story, unfortunately, is typical these days. Poor initial quality but tolerable as long as Mercedes is paying, but once the warranty expires the cars are a fortune to maintain. The LS430 of today is about as close as you'll get to the bulletproof Mercedes of the 1980s and earlier. I now drive one (a 2004) myself.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

We have had ES300 and ES 330.Have had 400E and S420. Am thinking I will have to go downhill to the LS430 this coming fall just because of the service issues with the Mercedes. Too bad - they were good cars, but the Walmartization of them has really ruined them.

Reply to
MCBRUE

I am in the Chicago area as well and bought a 2003 ES and have no problems. I too considered the Mercedes C230 but found it lacking in interior niceness and only 160 hp but above this the poor quality of the Mercedes brand put me off. The dealer was nice to me but but on airs of superiority when discussing features of the car going so far as to scoff at the notion that I was also considering Lincoln. He went on to inform me that this car was not allowed for comparison as it was "not in the same class" as his Benzies. That did not mean much to me as we all know Diamlers last name is Crystler which is the biggest piece of shit ever to take to the roadways. BTW could you please tell me what Mercedes Dealer treated you so poorly? I would like to file thier name for futre reference.

Ice

Reply to
Ice

Traded my 99 S420 for a 2002 Audi S8. Couldn't be happier. My wife and I bought her a 2005 Lexus RX330 with all the toys except Mark Levinson. Couldn't be happier.

Lexus has excellent mainenance and repair records, and Consumer Reports and Intellichoice put them # 1.

I like major horsepower (04 Corvette C5 and 02 Audi S8) but dollar for dollar the new Lexus in our garage is hard to beat.

I will never buy another Mercedes. And mine was "relatively" reliable.

Reply to
LIW

McBrue:

We used to run across each other in the Mercedes newsgroup. I traded my 99 S420 with 68,000 miles on it, SRS light on, hydraulic trunk functioning intermittently, after a warranty replacement of the hydraulic system for the doors, and a replacement of the air conditioning, and so on.

Not sure that the S8 will be any better on repairs, but I do have a 3 year

100,000 mile warranty on it from now, and it does have 360 hp/ 317 torque, all aluminum, and a super interior and stereo.
Reply to
LIW

Very nice to hear from all of you. I really like the current S4, and the new Audi A6, but I am a little shy of Audi's reputation as well. I wish Lexus had more "soul" in their cars, but the fit & finish is amazing, and if their service is as professional as their salesmen, I may be a customer soon. Another car I really want to love is the Acura TL -- if only it was rear-wheel or all-wheel-drive, it might already be in my garage. The new Acura RL is AWD, but it's nearly exactly the same dimensions as the TL for interior space! In some areas, the TL is bigger! For $15K more than a TL, the RL needs to delivery more space! How do you like your RX330? I know it's not a sports-car, but when I test-drove it I was disappointed that the shifter didn't have an "Autostick." I know it's a novelty feature somewhat, but one that I use daily on my Mercedes E420. The dealership that has given me headaches is located in Naperville. I'm sure you can guess the name... They were recently bought, and I think they've had nearly a 200% turn-over in both sales and service staff.

Randy Chicago, IL

Reply to
Randy S

Boring, boring, boring.

I've owned a '99 LS400 and now an '03 LS430.

Prior to that, I've owned several Toyota's

In NONE of those cars have I ever had to perform anything but routine maintenance.

No excitement of rusting struts.

No panic attack when the car won't start when you're out of town on vacation.

No adrenalin rush when you find a puddle of "something" under the car.

No heart flutter when the transmission won't shift.

No pauses and "Hush"'s when you hear a rattle or thump and want to try to figure out where the sound is coming from.

The car just goes and goes and goes, quietly, smoothly, with aplomb.

I LOVE BORING LIKE A LEXUS!

My '03 has 43,000 miles and I plan on keeping it for another 2-3 years. I'm considering spending 2K on the extended warrantee, but I keep thinking to myself, "What's the point?".

HBH

Reply to
BenAndMarsha

I switched froma BMW to a lexus IS300, and ill never go back thier service is awesome bmw's sucked and man do you bend over for those german parts!!

Mike

Reply to
Simmonsmc

Mercedes quality is very poor. The cars of yesteryear are gone. Same with BMW and Audi. (Although Audi was always pretty bad). Going with Lexus is a good idea, however a few things to consider. The new ES models have a tranny hesitation problem. Higher horsepower vehicles, like the LS, it's not as noticeable, but its still there. Other than that, the cars are solid! Very good all around.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

You can always try an IS300 with a 5-speed stick. No tranny hesitation there.

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff

Oh yeah!! And especially when they roll out the IS430 or whatever the 8 cylinder designation will be!!! These do rock!!

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff

I bought an IS300 two years ago. Now with 28K on it I have not had one single issue or problem with it. My sole complaint with the car is a very slight rattle or something in the moon roof sometimes. I notice it but it seems none of my passengers can hear it. Among Lexus's models the 5-speed IS300 is perhaps the most fun to drive. It's also their cheapest model.

Reply to
Jeff Bertrand

Apply some grease to the seal on the roof. Sometimes I've done this and it moistens that seal and prevents dry-out-squeak.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

You can second Jeff's response for me as well. I purchased a new Lexus IS300 in September of 2002, and so far I haven't experienced a single problem with the car. Knock on wood, but this vehicle has been over and beyond flawless thus far. But I deserved a good car after what I went through with my previous new vehicle--which certainly wasn't a Toyota Motor Co. product. There's no way to describe how satisfied that I have been with my Toyota and Lexus cars. Basically, both of mine have been virtually flawless. Can't say the same for my new Nissans and Chevys over the years. :-)

J. Perry

Reply to
J. Perry

Thanks, this was also suggested by someone over at the IS300.net site and I tried it and found in my case that it didn't help. I hear the same creak/rattle whether the moon roof is opened or closed so I don't think my noise is due to the seal, since it is no longer in contact with anything when the MR is open.

Reply to
Jeff Bertrand

Try loosening and then re-tightening the fasteners that attach the moon roof track to the roof. If it is coming from the front of the vehicle over the dome light/switch, pop the cover off and do the same with the motor.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks, I think this is what the dealer did once as mentioned having to pull the head liner down. It worked for a while but a couple of weeks later it returned. I wonder if re-tightening and then LocTit-ing them would work?

Reply to
Jeff Bertrand

Loc-Tite wouldn't hurt, especially the red stuff. Also, shimming with strips of rubber might help. I keep an old bicycle inner tubes around for this purpose.

Reply to
Ray O