Synthetic Vs Dino ctd

Sorry about starting new string on same topic, but I had a problem posting a link.

Interesting that I was just wondering about this very topic this morning. When I went to pick up - well, accept delivery of - my new 06 LS430 this week, I asked the stealership about synthetic vs dino. Salesman said to use dino. That worried me because Mercedes Benz uses only synthetic, but of course, they do sell and service, well ... you know ... So I looked at AOL this morning and it references the following article which I think is on Edmunds : (just copy and paste into your browser, that is, hold ctrl & C down while runing your cursor over the stuff, then put the cursor into your browser line and hit ctrl & V - or ask some kid passing by)

The article says the synthetics are better than dino oil and have better lube properties at high temps. Also it does say that you should be able to switch back and forth OK now. But it warns you that you should check with your car company. And Lexus does state, on the Lexus site from a link in Ray O's post in the following thread, that you should not switch back if you start with the synthetic. So the question for me now is

DO I HAVE TO USE SOME JAPANESE SYNTHETIC SO I CAN SWITCH BACK AND FORTH OR IS MOBILE 1 OK AND I CAN REALLY SWITCH BACK AND FORTH REGARDLESS OF BRAND?

Note that this article does admit that the syntHetics used to have esters in them that would swell the seals in the engine and then let it leak. That did happen to my old MB S420 and then after I got all new seals in, the MB Stealership ran out of synthetic and secretly switched me back to dino oil so I stayed with it, but have been angry about it ever since!!!! So this whole question bears a bit more investigation - like does Lexus set your car up to leak if you use American Synthetic? If they aren't just screwing with us, why can't they set the Lexus car up so it can use either? Why do they have to use inferior engine seals??

Reply to
mcbrue

No, you do not have to use Japanese synthetic oil. If you prefer synthetic, Mobil 1 is fine.

When you ask about switching back and forth, there should not be any harm in switching between synthetic brands but I am of the old school that believes in picking a brand and sticking to it if possible. As far as switching between conventional and synthetic, I would follow the advice on the Lexus site and stick to synthetic once you start using it. I heard the reason for this a long time ago and cannot remember, but it does not have anything to do with seals.

Lexus does not use inferior engine seals, and using American synthetic oil will not cause the seals to leak.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" quipped:

personally I think the post is troll bait. Nobody can bet that stupid. Hell, a two minute search on the Internet would of answered every question.

Having said that, the engine is an engine. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't have a CLUE what you're putting in it. "Foreign" synthetic oil doesn't have anything mystical about it's contents.

the problem with synthetic oils causing seals to swell ended in the

70's but apparently the story hasn't died.

As for switching back and forth between dino and synthetic oils, again your engine doesn't care. It's not human. It doesn't "test" the oil and accept or reject it. IT'S AN ENGINE. It will run on whatever you put in it. If it's the wrong SAE or weight oil, it'll behave accordingly. Good gawd, just because it's a Japanese car doesn't mean it needs Japanese oil. How about American gas? I'm surprised all those foreign cars aren't seizing up and dying out on the roads what with all that yankee gas flowing through them.

The ONLY time you need to be concerned switching to synthetic oil is if, after switching to syn, you see oil leaks..especially around gaskets. That's because synthetic oil molecules are more uniform in size. And because of that, they can actually take less gap tolerances than dino oil. Dino oil's molecules are more varied so leaks are less noticeable. The uniform size of synthetic oil molecules is one of the major characteristics that make it a superior lubricant.

Consequently, if you see oil leaks after switching to synthetic oil, just switch back to dino oil. It won't hurt anything and your engine won't ever know the difference.

Reply to
amstaffs

The major oil companies state one can switch as often as one likes.

Reply to
toyomoho