Timing Belt on LS 400

At what point did you have your timing belt replaced? Has anyone gone beyond the manufacturer's recommendation of 90,000 miles?

Thanks

Reply to
Buckshop LeFunk

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:25:12 -0400, Buckshop LeFunk graced this newsgroup with:

Timing belts on LS400's should be replaced every 60K miles or every

5 years whichever comes first.

Like everything else, if you want to go longer, it's your car and $$.

Reply to
nospam

The good part is that on the GEN 1 LS400, the valves were non-interfering, so a busted belt does not result in piston/valve contact. Basically, harmless. That is not true for the later LS400's.

When we changed the belt on out '92 at 60,000 miles, there was zero indication of any wear on the old belt.

- GRL

Reply to
GRL

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:30:43 -0400, "GRL" graced this newsgroup with:

unforutnately, drive belt wear isn't always visible. That's why many technicians suggest changing them regardless of their outward appearance.

Reply to
nospam

I have a Gen 1 ('93), so I let the original belt go to 110,000 miles since there was no danger of permanent engine damage if it did break.

Looked like zero wear on the belt to my eyes. The techs told me that they had NEVER actually seen a belt break. Instead, what happens is that the water pump (which on my car is driven by the back side of the belt), will seize up and burn through the timing belt. So, my conclusion was that it is more the water pump that we owners need to pay attention to than the timing belt.

My two cents adjusted for inflation...

Reply to
Gary Early

This is EXACTLY the same story I was told (in Chicago). Changed the belt/water pump @ 120K on my 1990 LS400. Currently at about 210K and don't plan on changing this one for a few more 10K

Reply to
Jerohm

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:07:35 GMT, "Gary Early" graced this newsgroup with:

that's good information to know Gary..thanks...especially for the non-interference engines. Unfortunately, I have an 02 LS430 and gawd forbid if that puppy craps out on me.

Then again, it *is* pricey to replace, but still WAY cheaper than a new engine.

Reply to
nospam

We have a GEN 2 '96 LS400, currently at 57k miles. The LEX dealer does all of our service and always has, yes, including oil changes which at our dealership are still $39.95 and include a complimentary wash job & vacuuming the interior.

I had them inspect the T-belt 6 months ago at 55k and was told there was presently no visible wear. However, the recommended interval for replacement is 90k miles or 6 years and they suggest doing it. At the LEX dealership this is a nig item, I believe on the order of $800~$1000. By comparison the local Toyota dealership quoted the job at $625, including replacement of the same list of components (water pump, T-stat, etc)

Any reason to believe or be concerned that the Toyota shop would do an inferior job or use inferior parts?

Reply to
New Owner

No. However, you probably will not get a cup of cappuccino at the Toyota place. I suggest you bring your own.

Reply to
GRL

Will Toyota Dealers work on a 98 Lexus LS400?

non-interfering,

Reply to
Mitchell Trockman

I am sure it varies dealer by dealer, but the same basic 4.0 liter engine was used in the Toyota Land Cruiser I believe, so they would have to service belts on those.

Xplant

Reply to
Xplant