Tire sensor reset???

Help Please! I had a flat tire and after replacing it the notification of low tire pressure stays on and I've combed the manual but can't find the reset button. The photo for the "with navigation system" instruments shows buttons either beneath or near the ignition but those buttons are NOT on my dash! Thanks so much for help! Betty

Reply to
betfort

What year and model do you have?

Reply to
lexuspartsdept

I should have given this info earlier, it is a 2004 L430. Thanks,

Reply to
betfort

On the '04 LS430, without Nav, there are two buttons practically UNDER the dash, to the right of the steering column. If you were to grab a flashlight and look under there, you'll see two buttons. One is to disable the smart key system, the other is a reset for the tire sensor. The smart key switch should be the one closer to the front of the dash, and also is a "push-pull" style of switch, meaning it could be pushed in and stay there, or be pulled out and stay there.

The other is a "momentary" switch. This is the one you need. What you do is push on the button and hold for a second, then let go. The light at this point should go off. Then you need to push and HOLD the button a second time untill the message "Reinitialing System" appears.That resets and initializes the system to work as designed. As long as you follow this procedure and the tires are inflated properly, the light will go away.

Also, if it is convienent, your local Lexus dealer, if it is close to you, should be happy to reset it for you. At our facility, we would not charge for that.

Hope this helps......

Reply to
lexuspartsdept

This helps a lot, we don't have a Lexus dealer here, THey're in Atlanta.

Your directions are correct, however this car does have the NAV. When I read the manual and saw the illustration I would NEVER have guessed I'd have to lie on my back with a flashlight to find that button! Thank you so much! One other question, the manual says after the car has been driven for

1 hour at a speed of or greater than 19 mph the reinitialization will be complete. I think I've driven a cumulative 1 hour but not all at once, and it still is reading "low tire". Also, the average speed is saying 12. I'm not quite sure about what I should do now.

Am I being picky or is this unnecessarily complicated? Thank you again. Betty

Reply to
betfort

No problem. If you follow the steps and hold the button down a second time, the reinit should process thru and that's all it needs. If it still shows low pressure, check the tire pressure to be sure. When you said you had a flat and replaced it, did you have a tire patched or a new tire installed? We have had a few cars come thru here that have had a "shop" fix the car, only to find out that they dinged the sensor, causing it to go out of calibration. Hopefully that is not the case. If the tire pressure is good, and the reset procedure does not work, then you may need the sensor replace.

Reply to
lexuspartsdept

lexuspartsdept, do you have the procedure for disabling the alternate tire set for an IS350? I have winter tire on and would like to disable the tire pressure warning message in the instrument panel.

Thanks.

lexuspartsdept wrote:

Reply to
Edward Lee Ah Yen

Thank you lexuspartsdept. The Internet is a wonderful thing. I have NEVER come to a usegroup with a question that some kind soul didn't take their time to answer for me. Global village, that's true. Betty

Reply to
betfort

At this time, and due to federal laws, the IS350's tire pressure warning light cannot be disabled. I do have one person who owns one, and is trying to figure out how the system operates. If anything comes out of it, I'll post it on the forum.

Reply to
lexuspartsdept

The same procedure applies to with or without nav.

Reply to
lexuspartsdept

Addendum: I took the car to the Toyota dealership regarding this warning light (on friend's recommendation) and the service manager said, no problem, reached under the dash, found a button and pushed it. When the warning didn't go off he said it was because the tire pressure actually WAS low altho I'd just had it checked. He said it must be the tire pressure in the spare in the trunk that the sensor was reading and I should go have that one checked. I thanked him and he went back inside.

I started to crank the car, with no key, as usual, key being in purse on seat. Wouldn't crank, tried several times, no luck. Put key in ignition, cranked it and drove to the grocery store. Got out of the car and attempted to lock it by pushing the little spot in the outside handle, as usual. No lock. I'm thinking "if it SEEMS like a conincidence, it probably is a coincidence, That man couldn't possibly have done anything to my car to prevent the "no key" options from working. Got back in car, started it with the key, drove home in a real snit about this car. Went in the house and got a flashlight and lay on my back on the floorboard of the driver's side and looked way back under the dash and saw, beside the "set" button a "key" button. Pushed that. Voila! The "no key" options worked. He'd just pushed the wrong button. Whew! Still haven't gotten the "low tire" warning off. The manual is a little unclear because it says to hold the button down until the light goes off.

Does that mean the light under the dash or the warning light.

Waiting on grandson to help.

Thanks for listening! Betty

Reply to
betfort

I know nothing about the procedures (obvious, from my posts) but the manual has different pictures for the dashes and they are labeled, "with NAV" and "without NAV" Pictures are very misleading anyway.

Next time I buy a car it won't be one I have to start working out at a gym to be able to pick up the manual!

Reply to
betfort

The warning light.

Reply to