To buy or not to buy an RX350

Hi everyone, first time potential RX350 buyer here. I've heard and read all the reviews on the RX350 and it seems like the perfect small family SUV.

Are all the testimonials accurate? Is it really that good of an SUV? I was leaning towards the Pathfinder for power and utility and some off-roading but I thought, I really needed more handling and comfort as we will be using this SUV for the family vacation trips.

Any 350 experiences, good or bad is appreciated. I am looking to buy the 2008, or the 2009 if the price is right. Your purchase prices are also welcome as I would like to know the ranges of prices. I live in Montgomery County, MD.

Thanks!

Reply to
Bert Viloria

I live in Howard County, MD. Hello, neighbor.

While the RX is a very nice vehicle, before plunking down all that cash perhaps you should test drive a Toyota Sienna minivan. Last time I drove an RX it didn't feel any different than a Sienna with upgraded tires. Not only is the minivan cheaper, it gets better mpg and offers far more utility. I was thinking about an RX but decided to keep my Sienna, which now has over 210,000 miles. Bought a Corvette instead; great reason to leave the kids at home! You could probably buy a Jeep for off roading for the price difference between the RX and Sienna.

Reply to
ACAR

My wife drives an '04 RX 330 (essentially the same vehicle) and adores it. We've gone on long trips and it is a wonderfully comfortable vehicle. I don't think it'd do well off road so if that's your desire, look elsewhere.

Reply to
Stephen Jacobs

I've had an '08 RX350 since July - outstanding vehicle

Reply to
muzzy

If you use a Lexus dealer for maintenance, it will be expensive. We traded an 01 300 for a 03 Pilot and our costs were cut by 75%. We are still on the original brakes on the Pilot at 75k miles whereas we had to rebuild the rears at 27k on the 300 at a cost of around $350.00. The Pilot also was a

7-8 seater and was an AWD with the same gas mileage at the 300 which the dealer insisted had to run on premium. The Pilot was more powerful and runs on regular.
Reply to
tww1491

Also check the review on Edmunds.com. Around $3x,xxx out of a list:

Acura RDX BMW X3 Buick Enclave HUMMER H3 Infiniti EX/FX35 Lincoln MKX Mercury Mountaineer Nissan Murano Volvo XC90

Reply to
johngdole

I recently purchased a 2003 RX 300 that had 49+k miles. What a great SUV it is. I had been following the prices of these SUV's for 6 months and the prices hardly go down. If you keep the vehicle in good condition you can drive it for minimal depreciation. I recommend these vans without any reservations.

Reply to
ackerberg

Thanks to all who replied...

After reading more about the 'SUVs', I am now more inclined to check out the newly designed

2009 Honda Pilot...good gas mileage, more standard features, bigger cargo volume, and more utility which me and the wife both agree we need...plus, the prices I am assuming will be a bit cheaper...

I know the engine is less powerful (the Pilot will be 250 hp and 255 lbs torque, but I thought about the gas mileage (17-22) and all of our very favorable experiences with Honda (we still own working 1990 Civic and 1997 CR-V) and we thought why not stick with Honda - reliable, cheap maintenance, and they just work and work, and they keep working - that sounds good for me :)

Thanks again for all the comments...

Bert Viloria wrote:

Reply to
Bert Viloria