Toyota engineering problems?

I've posted numerous times about Toyota's recent inability with software engineering, specifically related to the myriad problems with the ES300/ES330 transmissions. Their efforts. or lack thereof, with all the ES tranny software problems and multiple software patches have bordered on incompetent. I now find it very troubling now that the Toyota Prius is being recalled for what? That's right, a software bug that was causing random stalling. I sure hope this isn't a sign of Toyota's present and future. Used to be I could trust their vehicles implicitly. I don't have that feeling anymore.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

Because they've been outsourcing to America now to cut costs.

Reply to
Wonk

Japan has never been good at innovating, just making things better. When Americans develop good software, Toyota will use it... All software on Toyotas lacks...

I believe it's a culture thing. They need Americans to help them with the software issues.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

And I believe you are full of what the horse left behind.

Considering the numerous and continuing problems with Microsoft software, you have the audacity to brag about American programmers? What overwhelming Gaul!

- nopcbs

Reply to
GRL

Actually, I stand behind American programmers as the most capable and proficient in the world. It's not a racist thing, or isolationist, just a well formed personal opinion based on a lot of years of experience in the business. Part of the reason, I believe, is that America has enjoyed the best compensation rates in the world for software developers. In 3rd world countries, these positions don't pay much different than any other business or industry, so it's just another career. There's not the financial enticement that there is in America. That's one of the reasons the offshoring of software development to India is so controversial. Indians are wonderful and hard working people, but experience shows that the product of outsourcing development to India is not cost or time efficient, due to cultural and geographic issues. Bottom line is that you don't get the level of quality that is produced here. Your example of Microsoft software is kind of a flame, as Windows operating systems are horribly complicated beasts. Have you ever sat down to write a graphical operating sytem that was all things to everyone, and then expect it to work perfectly in all situations with all software? Doubt it. I'm a Microsoft critic too, but your example was pretty lame.

"GRL" wrote in message news:m5zaf.1801$ snipped-for-privacy@fe06.lga...

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

I believe that DENSO (a Japanese company) makes the engine computers. Depending on the car, they may be made by Americans at one of their DENSO plants - South Carolina, Tennessee, Michigan... one of them.

Reply to
The Great Gazoo

It's well established that Lexus's transmission is the worst in the luxury class. It will take a while for the market to realize this, just as it took a while to realize that Detroit cars were much less reliable than Japanese cars. But eventually the market does realize and Toyota won't be able to get away with their crap software anymore.

Reply to
Mack