Toyota's Lagging Lexus and Scion Brands

Not really 'modified Camrys', but cars based on a similar platform (like Malibu, Bonneville, LeSabre) with different appointments, stretched platforms, etc. They are actually quite different models, esp in the home market.

Reply to
Hachiroku

The LS isn't a modified Camry.

Do you just babble on about random shit only when you're drunk, or do you also do it when you're sober, too?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

No doubt. Lexus isn't known as the "Japanese Buick" for nothing.

If they compete with BMW and M-B, does that mean they give the GS shitty build quality and crappy materials (M-B) and overall crappy reliability, especially after 3 years/75K miles (both)?

Toyota builds boring cars that JUST PLAIN WORK, and they DO WELL the job they've been built to do. To many, that's more than they've seen out of any car maker.

I will say this: take the damn lawyers out and shoot them, and build the cars the way they need to be built. If you take the nanny factor out of the Toyota lineup, you might have Hondas.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It seems like he's resentful full time. A classic attention-seeking troll. My guess is the reason he's so miserable isn't really anything Lexus has done, but some restraining order keeps him from the real object of his scorn - and I bet the guy or girl who ruined his life probably drives a Lexus!

Reply to
DaveW

You seem to have ignored the IS line.

Reply to
Bob

You are kidding right - Put an ES350 and a Camry side by side. Only an idiot would by the ES-350. Before the Venza, the RX-whatever at least looked unique. Now it looks like an over-priced Vensa. Toyota is doing the same stupid stuff GM did - trying to sell expensive luxury models that are thinly diquised version of mass market sedans. People aren't stupid (well at least many aren't).

Ed

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

So has almost everyone else.....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

In message , john writes

True, but it beats both German brands hand down for reliability. Of course, if Americans change cars every two or three years on a rotating contract, then reliability isn't really important, but over here in the UK where cars tend to be bought outright and kept for longer, the situation changes.

Reply to
Clive

If he wants a feature set that's not available on the Camry, he will.

Think of the Lexus line as just another trim level. People buy mid- and high-level Camry trim lines all the time. ES is just another notch higher.

I have a flash for you: Toyota did that starting in 1990. Are you new to the concept? None of this is news.

And it speaks to Toyota's (and Honda's, and Nissan's and GM's, and...) efforts at (drum roll, please) price discrimination, which Toyota most definitely did NOT invent.

Get over it. YOU wouldn't buy one, but people will.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Mines working fine, except after 9 years it needs a battery. That is getting swapped on Friday. Only the European 200 model and a bit low on grunt compared to the Saab and Toyota turbos I've been used to in the past, but comfy and reliable and still looks good after those 9 years.

Reply to
Elder

What about Infiniti, Lincoln, Buick, etc?

Reply to
Hachiroku

The ES-300 is based on the Camry platform, but is a different car. Even more so than the Cimmaron was different from a Cavalier...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Keep smoking that crack, buddy.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Look into the home model that's sold as the ES-300 here. IIRC it was once sold here as a Corona MKII.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I was referring to an earlier post that said that none of the Lexus line was selling well. On my drive to and from work each day, I see more ISes than I do Acura TSXes or TLs and about the same number of current generation MB C-classes.

Reply to
Bob

Ditto...well except where there are actually different models from the mass market models. Some Buicks don't have Chevrolet equivalents (or at least that used to be true). And certainly some Infiniti models don't have Nissan equivalents (at least in the US). As for Lincoln...well I suppose the MKS is unique (or was before the revised Taurus) and I could almost justify it instead of a Ford, but as for the rest of the Lincoln line-up...I'll buy a Ford (or maybe a Mercury since Ford and Mercrys are priced about the same). Only Cadillac seems to be trying to differentiate their luxury cars from the mass model versions (sell except for the ridiculous over priced Escalade).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I can't ever remember seeing even one IS, but then maybe I just thought it was another generic Toyota. I suppose they are fine cars, but I don't see why anyone would buy something so dull for so much money. I can get an equally competent dull car for a lot less.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Like the Camry/ES300, they are built on similar platforms.

Reply to
Hachiroku