transmission dipstick problem

This afternoon I removed the transmission dipstick from my ES 300 to check the fluid level, and I could not reinsert it. After many tries, it did go in. I foolishly removed it again, and it is now impossible to get it fully reinserted. It seems to hit something solid.

I removed it and capped the tube with a plastic cap.

I must use it use for a 2000 km trip tomorrow.

Can anyone suggest the cause of this problem ?

Is it safe to drive with the dipstick removed ?

The car has 220 000 kms. The reason I wanted to check the fluid level was that I had the impression that it took a little longer than usual to go into overdrive,

AZ

Reply to
A.Z

Maybe dumb, but did you try rotating the dip stick as you insert it so it has a chance to slip by whatever is holding it up? Maybe back and forth. Then round and round if that doesn't work.

Reply to
RR

Notice the end is bent at about a 45 deg angle. Insert the angle so that is points to your left (passenger side) as you are inserting the dipstick back.

Reply to
Rog