Transmission fluid service

I have a 2000 RX300 2-wheel drive with close to 90,000 miles. A transmission fluid replacement is recommended. I do change my own oil, minor tune-ups, and brake pad renewal. Is this a service I could do myself?

Thanks, eburke

Reply to

No. To do it right, your transmission (especially with 90,000 miles) needs to be properly flushed. This takes a machine connected to your transmission lines which runs new transmission fluid into the system and removes the old fluid. There is much fluid in the torque converter (2/3) which will never come out if you simply drop the pan and try to remove the fluid yourself.

I had the flush done on my 2000 ES300 and it took 30 minutes. Fluid is bright red again.

Reply to
Michael

You can do it yourself, it's easy. First drain the trans pan, remove the pan and replace the trans oil filter. Put it all together and add 4 quarts of synthetic trans fluid. Start, check for leaks, and check the dipstick, add if needed. Now use the vehicle for a day or two, then remove the drain plug and drain the 4 quarts in the pan. Add 4 more quarts of new synthetic trans oil and use the vehicle again for a day or two. Continue this until you use up 12 quarts of trans fluid. This will flush out all the old trans fluid. I do this to all my customers. I also drain a quart after I added the 12 quarts to make sure all the old fluid is gone. This may seem a little time consuming, but it's far cheaper and you know the job was done right.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Everything I've read about transmission servicing on Lexus tranmissions emphasizes it is important to use Toyota transmission fluid. It's available at any Toyota (or Lexus) dealer.

If you're going to the trouble, and it's only once every 90K miles, you might as well go with the recommendation.

XPlant

Reply to
Xplant

That's a lot of work to still leave old fluid behind. You'll never get it all that way although you will certainly get most of it.

It cost me $99.00, took 30 m> Michael wrote:

Reply to
Michael