Trunk lock

This may help someone who runs into the same problem. I have a 92LS400. I tried to use my key to open my trunk but although the key could be totally inserted, it wouldn't turn. I used a squirt of silicone lubricant with its thin tube into the lock and it started working immediatly.

Reply to
Randy Taylor

Silicone lubricant may eventually gum up the lock. Use graphite lubricant like Lock-Ease instead.

Reply to
Ray O

My 90LS400 sporadically has the same problem. I have tried graphite, but it doesn't seem to address the issue. Sometimes if I remove the key and reinsert it 180 degrees (i.e., flip the key over), it works ... sometimes not. I 'think' the problem is worse in the winter, but I wouldn't swear to that. I just use the inside release (which ALWAYS works) and live with the issue. Report back if you happen to find a simpler solution.

Reply to
Jerohm

Having to turn the key 180 degrees is an indication that the pins in the lock cylinder may be worn. I have had excellent results with Lock-Ease in aerosol cans.

Reply to
Ray O

Gee thanks, I WILL try that ... just using the inside release, it is NOT that big of an issue FOR ME Thanks again.

Reply to
Jerohm

The inside release on my 2000 LS 400 is electrically operated, and I keep my jumper cables in the trunk. If the battery is dead, then the electrically operated inside release will not work, and if the key also doesn't work, then I'm in trouble. The same is true if the keyless entry doesn't work and the key doesn't work in the door lock.

The principle behind this is very similar to the principle behind a flat tire - the only time you ever get a flat tire is if you have somewhere to go, never when you have nowhere to go. With my luck, the key would not work in the door and trunk lock if the battery is dead, so I always keep the lock cylinders lubed with Lock-Ease, even if I never use the key in the door or trunk.

The aerosol Lock-ease comes in a short can about the size of a sample can of shaving cream or those little cans of spray paint. The reason I do not recommend penetrating oil, WD-40, silicone, or other lubricant in an automotive lock cylinder is that I don't really know if it works or not. I do know that the Lock-Ease does work.

Reply to
Ray O

Point well taken ... I guess I never thought about it and always kinda ASSUMED the inside release on the 1990LS was a cable. I know there is a additional release for the gas tank behind the medical kit. Maybe I have been running on borrowed time!

Reply to
Jerohm

I don't know if the trunk release on a 1990 LS is a cable or electrically operated solenoid. A cable will take some effort to release, like the hood release, while an electrically operated one takes about the same effort as the power window switches. I'm pretty sure that the fuel door release is also electrically operated on my car, with a mechanical backup cable in the trunk.

Reply to
Ray O