used RX300 advice

I'm looking at getting my wife a 2000 - 2001 RX. What are some things to look for? Are the transmissions as bad as some message boards make them out to be?

Reply to
The Godfather

Well I would suggest that you look for four tires and wheels, plus a steering wheel. You should also have some lights on the front and back ends of the contraption, and a motor - you know, the normal things. Oh yes - if it gets bad reviewes of its transmission in some message boards I would look at different models or different years that do not get the bad messages. There are some real problems out there with the trannies in the Lexi cars, and since there are not too many other serious problems, why go with a model that has the problems? The 1993 ES300 had a bad tranny that would burn out around 60 to 90,000 miles. The next year that was fixed. So look around a bit more. There was a shift problem with the ES cars around 2002 again wherein the car would just sit there and look pretty for a while after you floored the gas pedal. I guess that is fixed now. So if there are bad reviews out there, I would pay heed to them and go for a later (or earlier) model. My 06 LS430 has a rather rough shifting tranny and there are a couple of bad behaviours in it that I have not been able to fully reproduce yet, so can not get them fixed.

Reply to
mcbrue

That engine was susceptible to oil gelling. We had one and got rid of it at

30k miles because of that problem nothwithstanding the very expensive service we had by the book at our local Lexus dealer. If you can find one where the oil was changed at least every 3000k miles and had the documentation then you ought to be OK. If you every break the key, it will run around $250.00 to replace. Brakes wear out quickly in the rear; ours had to be rebuilt for around $300.00 at 26k miles by our friendly Lexus dealer. Still have the original brakes at 60k on our 03 Pilot. In all, an expensive vehicle to run.
Reply to
tww1491

Thanks for the input. We are also looking at the Pilot, 4Runner, and Murano.

Reply to
The Godfather

I've had good luck with my 2001 RX. Bought it October 2000, it has 135K miles now. Mostly highway driving. Dealer-serviced every 7500 miles. Got over 80k miles on original Goodyears (they were just OK for cornering & traction in snow) then put on Michelins (LTX I think) which are great. I'm still on 2nd set of brakes front and rear, original exhaust now has a leak which will be fixed with just a gasket. Just about every exterior light bulb has been replaced.

Had an engine seal leak at maybe 110k miles, costly (labor, not parts) to replace.

Winter gas mileage is about 19.5 MPG, summer is a hair over 21 using 87 octane. No transmission trouble at all.

Been reading this group for a while, realize my experience hasn't been shared by everyone. But mine's been great and I want it to run forever. hth, Bob

Reply to
Bob_R

Similar results from my 2001 RX 300. Oil and filter every 5k. Always Premium gas. Averaged 22.5 mpg in Texas with 50% hwy miles. Michelins - always! No major problems. Oxygen sensor went at 75k, cost $350 or so. Had the timing belt replaced at 100k as preventative measure. Sold it at 125k. Bought a

2007 RX350.

IMHO the only design flaw in that model was the turning radius Aircraft carriers have a slightly better turning radius. I can now do a 180 in only three lane widths!

Reply to
DougAtDCCADDdotCOM

Why are you even considering the Murano, the ugliest SUV ever made.

Reply to
FKS

On Mon, 28 May 2007 18:45:52 -0400, "FKS" graced this newsgroup with:

Umm..err..I'd give the ugliest award to the Aztec

Reply to
Max

The Honda Element and Scion xB say, "Hi."

Reply to
The Godfather