Using synthetic oil

I believe Lexus uses standard oil for its 5,000 mile oil changes on GS 350 cars. Is there a problem with using synthetic oil instead (at say Jiffy lube or other non-Lexus garage) and extending the oil change period to 7,500 miles? Would that mess up the warranty?

Jeff

Reply to
JeffMalka

I often wonder why US supplied cars have a much lower oil change interval, as indicated by manufacturer, than those supplied in Europe. That includes vehicles supplied with 3 year 90,000 warranty & those supplied with unlimited milage in the 3 year period. My last Lexus had a 9,000 miles interval, later models 10,000 / 20,000? So far I have seen no explanation

Reply to
OldMan

Check out Amsoil Synthetic Oil, it goes for 1 year or 25,000 miles whichever comes first. They are the only synthetic oil that goes that long. I been using it for many years in all my cars including both my Lexus'es.

Wayne

OldMan wrote:

Reply to
Wayne

Check out Amsoil Synthetic Oil, it goes for 1 year or 25,000 miles whichever comes first. They are the only synthetic oil that goes that long. I been using it for many years in all my cars including both my Lexus'es.

Wayne

OldMan wrote:

Reply to
Wayne

we read you the first time. ;-)

Reply to
01dyna

There is no problem with using synthetic motor oil as long as it meets current API specification SM. Using motor oil that does not meet API SM or extending the oil change period to 7,500 miles would only mess up the warranty on your motor and emissions system, including the catalytic converter, not the rest of the car, and only if the non-specified oil caused a problem.

Reply to
Ray O

Yes, but my question is if doing so and lengthening the oil change interval would invalidate the Lexus warranty.

Jeff

Wayne wrote:

Reply to
JeffMalka

So, using and synthetic oil and lengthening the oil change period would set me up for arguments should I later need to use the warranty for engine or catalyst repairs......

Jeff

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
JeffMalka

Yes it would.

Reply to
Ray O

No! Amsoil far exceeds all car manufactures.

Wayne

snipped-for-privacy@unknown.com wrote:

Reply to
Wayne

But why the difference in intervals for US & EU vehicles???

Reply to
OldMan

I don't know, but since if the vehicle is operated in the U.S., then one should follow the maintenance intervals for U.S. vehicles if one wishes to have the factory warrant the vehicle in the U.S.

Reply to
Ray O

Only Amsoil oil of the proper viscosity meets API specification SM meets or exceeds the automaker's specifications. If the oil does not meet API SM specifications, then it does not meet the automaker's warranty requirements for the engine and related systems. Also, the automaker's recommended maintenance intervals need to be followed for warranty coverage.

Of course, if Wayne or Amsoil is going to provide warranty coverage for the engine, then the vehicle owner can follow Amsoil's recommendations.

Reply to
Ray O

Because the US car manufactures and the oil companies want to sell more oil! It's a known fact. The eu has always had longer oil drains then us because they pay far more for their gas and oil.

Wayne

OldMan wrote:

Reply to
Wayne

Amsoil will back up all their products. Remember the Magnuson-Moss Act? I suggest that you do some research.

Wayne

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
Wayne

Access to the complete Magnuson-Moss Act is available on the Internet by key words Magnuson-Moss Act or Federal Trade Commission

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Mobil 1 Synthetic oil for the GS350 is all API SM rated so that's not an issue. An engine oil related issue caused by using a 7500 change interval with Mobil 1 is HIGHLY unlikely. My Toyota dealer sells Mobil

1 and they suggest a 7500 oil change interval. But if want zero risk, change it every 5000.
Reply to
ACAR

Aren't they using synthetic oil in Europe?

Oil analysis posted at bobistheoilguy.com doesn't bode well for that

20,000 mile oil change interval.
Reply to
ACAR