Verizon RAZR and phonebook transfer in a 2006 GX470

Hi all,

I know that Verizon cripples their phones and that perhaps is a gripe for another newsgroup. That being said, I have a Motorola RAZR with Verizon and a 2006 Lexus GX470 with bluetooth and the NAV Package. I have been able to successfully pair and uthe phoen for telephone conversations, but I cannot figure out if there is any work around to transfer my phonebook from my cell phone to the automobile's phonebook. ANy work around, etc. would be etremely apreciated. I would even take the time to manually enter each phone contact into the auto myself, one by one, but I don't believe it is possible to manually enter contacts directly into the GX470's phonebook. PLease correct me if I am wrong. Thanks in Advance!!! Regards,

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

As you've already figured out, you are correct: you can't manually enter numbers. (How irritating!) In addition, you can't transfer the entire contents of your RAZR phone at once. (How irritating!) What you CAN do is manually transfer your phone entries one at a time. There are fairly obvious menu items you can select to initiate the transfer. Of course, this is incredibly slow, as each transfer requires the phone to break its bluetooth connection with the car, execute the transfer, and then re-connect. Also, you can only transfer the "main" number from the phone. So, if you have someone in your phone with a cell, home, and office number, you can't specify which of the 3 will transfer, it will only transfer the "main" one. By the time you enter 4 or 5 numbers, you'll be mad enough that you'll stop (I know I did). The only other workaround (yuck) is to buy a different phone that allows both bluetooth and whole address book transfers. This is not a Verizon problem, it's a Motorola RAZR problem. The other problem that you will discover eventually is that if you dial from the phone (as opposed to from the touch screen, which of course you can only do if you're not moving), the bluetooth connection gets confused (on occasion) and the very next call you receive will hook up your caller directly to your RADIO. The only way to correct this is to either (a) turn off the car and start it up again or (b) hang up on the caller using the phone. If you try to hang up using the car (either touch screen or switch on the steering stalk), it will not fix the problem. I learned this by trial and error over many months of frustration and lack of help from either Lexus or Motorola. I love my LS430, but the bluetooth option is a piece of crap (or at least it is with the RAZR...).

-GIga

"Steve B." wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
GIga

I had the same problem trying to xfer phonebook from my Samsung to my 04 LS430. Another user solved the problem, and told me to buy a cheap used Siemens S56 phone on ebay and that particular cell phone does the entire phonebook xfer to my Lexus. I bought a used Siemens S56 on Ebay for $9; manually entered all my addresses to the Siemens; and did the total phonebook xfer to my LS phonebook with no trouble.

Since the Siemens is capable of doing data xfers, I would assume you can use it for the GS as well.

I now keep the old Siemens S56 cell just as a tool to update my phonebook , if needed. (It doesn't need to be activated to do this.)

walt

njbok

Reply to
David

There are pairing guides and also a list of what Bluetooth features a particular phone supports by going to:

pick a similar model year Toyota and Use and Existing Phone,then browse by carrier or phone manufacturer) Some phones will allow you to transfer the entire phonebook at once, while others may only do 1 contact entry transfer at a time, while others cannot transfer the phone book at all.

Neither the Verizon RAZR V3c or V3m will transfer any phone book entries at all, not in bulk nor individually. 8(

In your quick-dial locations, there is a slot for recently dialed or received calls, and you can transfer this number over to another quick- dial location. But I don't think that you can put a label on it and place it into your phone book...

(I don't know which version of the Bluetooth system that is on your

2006 GX470. I do know that on the 2004-2005 Toyota Prius, there is no way to manually enter a phone number into the contact list/phone book, but that is now a feature on the 2006-current Toyota Prius...)

So, you may want to try and find a friend or co-worker that has a Bluetooth phone that can transfer all the phone book entries, and borrow that phone. Make sure that all of your contacts are saved on your SIM card, and swap the cards in the phones. Then on the borrowed phone with your SIM card, upload all your contacts to your vehicle. Then swap SIM cards back on the phones and return the borrowed phone. (or, buy a cheap used Bluetooth phone that can do bulk transfers. The Sony Ericsson t68i will work fine for bulk transfers (worked on my

2004 Toyota Prius), and is so old you should be able to find one for < $10, for example. (I used to have one from AT&T Wireless, before they were sold to Cingular which was then renamed AT&T again recently...)

good luck!

Reply to
mrv

So GLGA the Great is having a problem with his lexus? Oh too bad. I thought that couldn't happen according to GLGA. Oh well ...

Reply to
mcbrue