Where is AC Coolant service port on '96 LS400 ?

Does any9one lnow where the low side AC service port is on the 96 LS400? I've found the high side service port but cannot locate the low side (the side where you add refrigerant). I thought I looked pretty hard but it didn't jump right out at me and say "here I am!"

Please don't lecture me. Just point me in the direction of the low side port.

Thanks!

Reply to
New Owner

It will be on the low pressure AC line, probably near the evaporator.

Reply to
Ray O

Gosh, no shit? Problem is I do not see the low pressure (cold) line or the evap. It's not out in the open. I really didn't want to take the car apart in a scavenger hunt and was hoping rather than a smartass answer that someone could furnish more explicit directions as to its location. In most American cars this is conveniently accessible for easy servicing.

Translation into layman's terms: Ray, your answer was not helpful.

Reply to
New Owner

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:29:49 GMT, wdg@[206.180.145.133] (New Owner) graced this newsgroup with:

dude..take a chill pill...

I don't think he was trying to be smart. At least I didn't take it that way.

If you "don't want to go on a scavenger hunt", and you don't want to risk "smartass answers", then go buy a Chiltons manual for $12.

Reply to
nospam

is for the 90-94 ... can't imagine it will be too different (I could be wrong)

Reply to
Jerohm

I don't normally like to get in "flame wars", but your response to Ray O was way out of line. I've been reading this newsgroup for several months and I have never seen any advice/answer come from Ray O that wasn't helpful in some way, never "smartass" answers. If you don't like the answers you get here, take your car to a Lexus dealer and pay somebody $100 an hour to answer your questions.

If I have a problem with my Lexus, Ray O is one of the first people I will go to for help.

Reply to
David

David, please reread my original post. I politely asked an *ON TOPIC* and extremely specific question about a specific item on a specific model Lexus and subsequently got a completely vague and ambiguous answer from the one person whom you say is one of the most knowledgeable and qualified to answer in this newsgroup. If I am to accept what you say about Ray's expertise as gospel, then I now feel even moreso than before that Ray's response was a totally uncalled-for flip remark and one which he probably knew might spark a "go screw yourself asshole" type of comment from me, but it didn't. In fact I thought I remained relatively calm in the tone of my reply, just as I have tried to maintain some degree of dignity and calm in response to your reply.

I did not post my question with the intent of having to bow and scrape or pay homage to whomever could provide an answer. I asked a civil question in a civil tone and received a flip answer from the one person you hold in highest esteem.

If you take umbrage to the way I responded to Ray, then for a moment try to put yourself in my place as to how I must have felt with Ray's response to me. What goes around, comes around. You only reap what you sow. If Ray is the expert here, his answer sure didn't sound very expert to me.

Reply to
New Owner

Thanks Jerohm. I see the circled part in the tutorial photo you provided, but from all appearances the under-hood area of my 96 is considerably different. I will take a second look, however.

Reply to
New Owner

I apologize for what sounded like a smart-ass response. IIRC from your original post, you made it sound like you didn't want long lectures about how to recharge an AC system so I had assumed you could identify the AC lines.

I just went out and looked at my '00 LS 400, which I didn't do last night because it was late and I didn't want to be banging the hood. Assuming yours is the same basic layout and right-hand drive, I followed the AC lines out of the evaporator and found both AC ports on the driver's side of the engine compartment. They are not near the evaporator so I apologize for giving incorrect information. One is next to the oil filler cap and the other is on the line along the firewall, near the brake booster. Both are visible without having to remove any covers and are conveniently accessible for easy servicing.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray. I'll check.

The "no lecture please" was hopefully to dissuade the many HVAC experts out there from giving me their 10¢ requisite lecture re all the reasons for not attempting to service this myself.

However, when the A/C is blowing somewhat below par and the compressor clutch is repeatedly cycling on and off at idle speed, that's usually a pretty reliable indication you're low on juice. I realize that if my system is low it's because there's a leak, but it's a really slow leak that's been gradually reducing the A/C output over the course on a very long hot summer and hence one that's going to be expensive to find and even more expensive to fix. As long as I can nurse it through the rest of the season I'll deal with a fix next Spring.

I don't profess to know anything about HVAC systems, but I do know never to add more than 1 12oz can of refrigerant and I also know to never-ever invert the can. Whatever it doesn't take with the can sitting upright is refrigerant it didn't need. What it also means is the pressure in the system and the pressure in the can have equalized. Therefore whenever you add refrigerant in this "unsanctioned" method you'll always have 1/4 to

1/2 can that it won't take (without inverting) and inverting is how you overfill and damage a system.

What to do with the leftover juice? Well that's a real problem, isn't it? According to Hoyle you're supposed to take it to a recycling center to be recovered. However, all of the recycling centers are located at professional A/C service centers. You walk in with half a can of Walmart's R134A to contribute and you're opening yourself up to receive the 10¢ lecture.

Reply to
New Owner

Guilty as charged. As much time as I spend servicing my own and friends' vehicles, I bring m own vehicles in for a proper evacuation and recharge.

There is also a port on top of the receiver drier, which is the canister in front of the condenser. There is a glass window on top of the receiver drier. With the AC on, it should look like clear water flowing past. If you see foam flowing past, the system needs refrigerant. The system has a low-pressure switch that keeps the compressor from engaging if there is too little pressure. It is not good to leave the system with air in it because the receiver drier has a dessicant bag tht absorbs moisture. The dessicant bag will eventually become saturated and any moisture in the system will corrode the innards. I'd to the recharge sooner rather than later.

On a vehicle with an automatic AC system like your Lexus, you should leave the AC engaged all year round. The system will engage or disengage as required and it keeps everything lubricated and the seals are less prone to drying out.

You may be setting yourself up for the 10 cent lecture but just tell them it's already done and working great! Or, just save it for future use. Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O