Where to do brakes?

Was in the shop the other day and noted that a brake job for the 2006 LS430 costs $1195 for rotors and caliper pads. That is a bit high I think. Are there any reliable places to look for something of the same quality but about half that cost or less?

Reply to
mcbrue

If the rotors (Disks?) on a 2006 430 need replacing there is something drastically wrong, unless maybe you've done 100k miles

Reply to
old man

Midas.

The local shop is GREAT.

I had them turn my rotors on my LS400 once and when it did not work out (a bit of dirt prevented a square mounting on the lathe), they replaced all four rotors at no charge.

That was 40,000 miles ago and the replacement rotors/pads work great.

Cost would have been around $500.

GRL

Reply to
nopcbs

Find a shop that specializes in Lexus/Toyota and take it there. For our RX330, I had new OEM rotors and pads installed for $350. The LS430 would have to be a similar price.

I wouldn't think you would require the caliper's being replaced and/or rebuilt on a 2006; how many miles by the way???

Reply to
Anonymous

Rotors should last 80,000 miles unless they are warped or pad replacement was delayed so long that they have scored the rotors. You could replace the rotors and pads yourself for about a quarter of the cost.

Reply to
Ray O

The 06 LS 430 is a year old (well it was sold to me as a new car but had been used for 500 miles and was actualy produced in 12/05 and I bot it in 8/06) and has 20,000 miles on it. About 9,000 of the miles are from a couple of road trips we took in it. The little used-up - brake lights are not coming on yet, but I think it needs all rotors and pads because it has so much rough stopping and vibrating. I just don't think any car, even one of the rice burners, should have that bad of brakes regardless of what the stealership says. So I am looking for a reasonable place to replace them. I do not work on cars myself - there are better and more economical uses for my time, but $1,150 begins to sound a bit high for brakes. They say they only chareg $100 per hour for labour, but I doubt that. With the labour charge, I think they have bundled some of the shop costs because I doubt that many of the mechanics exceed $125,000 per year. But at that rate, perhaps there are some equaly qualified brake mechanics that I can trust my life to that don't charge quite so much.

Reply to
mcbrue

WTF!!

A Lexus with 20K miles needs brake pads? Not to mention rotors? No American car I've *ever* own- ed needed pads/rotors at 20K, and certainly not at $1.2K

Unfortunately, having replaced my wife's 6 year old Tahoe with an LS430, I'm beginning to rethink that decision. What's next, exhaust system(s) good only for 50K? Top end overhaul at 75K?

Reply to
Anonymous

Depends on how one uses their brakes. If they abuse the hell out of them...constant hard stops, "riding" the brakes etc, the rotors can go at a very young age, as little as 15-20k miles!! Keep in mind that the rotors on Japanese cars are quite a bit thinner than American cars. Resurface them once and that's it! Also the aftermarket rotors tend to be better then the OEM in some instances, i.e. Brembo.

Reply to
Matthew

Since McStupid posted that, it would stand to reason. He is way to stupid to own any car, less a Lexus. He probably drives around with the parking brake on. Or thinks that the brake pedal is a foot rest. I am sure he will have numerous complaints about the brakes even if he does get them done...

Reply to
Edgar

Thanks for bringing some sanity to this thread. I've got a 2004 LS430 with

46K miles on it and nothing has gone wrong with it to date. The fact that the Brew-jerk thinks that he needs new brakes/rotors is just a symptom of his overactive stupidity. Of course, the theory that he rides around with his foot on the brake makes sense given his propensity for moronic behavior, so for those of you who value reality, I'd simply read any of his postings for pure amusement only. No car manufacturer produces flawless vehicles, and wear items (like brakes for example) do eventually wear out (why do you think they call them "wear" items?). Compared to the crap that Mercedes and BMW serves up, I'll take the Lexus any day of the week.

GIga

Reply to
GIga

Ahhh yes! Good helpfull information. Delivered with great love and care for his fellow man... What a great man ... er ... woman ... er, well, maybe a great human? Wonder why I am thinking of the Adams family ...

Reply to
mcbrue

How's that McBrew-Dick theme song go again? If I only had a brain...

(Helpful only has one "l". See? I'm being "Helpful")

Reply to
GIga

The excellent OEM Akebono brake pads for the front: $58.79 (ACT870) and rear: $50.79 (ACT871) on rockauto.com. And as far as rotors go, these are dealer only items, which means an arm and a leg.

But Toyota has been having problems with under-designed rotors since

2002. I don't know where they get these newer, cheap rotors from, but they warp easily.

Reply to
johngdole

Toyota had TSBs out on rotors warping since 2002. I think they've switched over to a cheap rotor source, maybe in southeast Asia like all the cheap oil filters are from.

Reply to
johngdole