Which Aftermarket Catalytic Converter To Buy for es300?

I have a 97 ES300 with 114K miles on it. I have a CEL with P0420 code, catalyst efficiency below threshold. I have replaced the cat twice with aftermarket ones. In both cases, the CEL came back after a couple of months with the same code. So looks like the previous ones were garbage.

In earlier cases, I had the mechanic install the cat. I don't know which ones he was installing. Now, I want to buy a cat myself and have him install.

For those who have had this problem before, and put an aftermarket cat, can you advice on which is the best aftermarket cat to buy that will work and not bring on the CEL/P0420?

I don't want to put a OEM cat from the dealer as it will cost me $1.5K

+, so I want to settle down with a aftermarket cat, but of superior quality.

Please advise which is the best aftermarket cat to buy.

Thank you.

Reply to
Mark

Most aftermarket cats have a short life, and I am not aware of any that have matched the performance of the OEM one. If you have paid for 3 aftermarket cats, you are probably approaching or have exceeded what you would have paid if you installed an OEM one in the first place.

If you want to continue to try aftermarket, try sticking to name brands like Walker.

Reply to
Ray O

It's the cheapest man who spends the most.

He could also find a low-mile unit from a junkyard. OEM, and he knows about how much life it probably has in it based on his 110K miles or so life of his original unit.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Is this the walker cat you are recommending ?

3580413 There is also a "direct fit" model on rockauto.com that is significantly expensive. I will be taking it to a exhaust shop who will weld it in, so I don't care whether it is direct fit or not? Any idea whether this direct fit will be superior in quality than the walker universal?

*************** The link to the O'Reilly Auto didn't work and when I searched their site, i came up with several different Walker cats. The Rockauto site also listed several different cats.

I wouldn't expect a cat that retails for under $200 to work. If a supplier like Walker offers several different "grades," get the best you can afford.

The catalyst in catalytic converters contains platinum, which is expensive. To get prices down, aftermarket catlytic converter makers skimp on the platinum, and less platinum reduces the effectiveness of the cat.

Reply to
Ray O

Rock auto has a Walker universal (part # 15052) for $66.99 and a direct fit (part # 50415) for $287.99. I think the direct fit might still be using the same universal cat, just that it is a direct fit for my car and doesn't require welding. I will call rock auto to see if they can confirm this.

***************** From looking at Walker's web site:
it looks like the direct fit and iniversal cats are basically the same internally, with the difference being that the direct fit does not require welding and the direct fit uses thicker materials.
Reply to
Ray O