Which is it? interference or not?

We have a low usage 98 Lexus GS 300, Approximately. 75 K miles to date, used mainly for drives over

50 miles etc. The cam belt was listed on the old Gates web page as a not interference engine but a Toyota mechanic said he though the 98 and above were interference engines due to the VTEC also the new Gates page show it a possible. Anyone know the real answer? ***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kGb in the reply to address as shown above.

Reply to
KG

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:49:12 -0400, KG graced this newsgroup with:

mainly for drives over

interference engine but a

to the VTEC also the

Well, first I'd find another Toyota mechanic. VTEC engines are Honda.

Reply to
Max

The 1998 GS 300 has VVT-i (variable valve timing with intelligence), not VTEC.

As a general rule, Toyota/Lexus vehicles with timing belts are non-interference, while vehicles with timing chains are interference. In any event, if the timing belt in the engine is original, I would get it changed since it is close to 10 years old.

Reply to
Ray O

Thank you for the reply, good advice, I was planning to replace it this winter. Tanks again

***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kGb in the reply to address as shown above.

Reply to
KG

You're welcome!

Reply to