window rolls up but then reverses itself again

I have a 1998 LS400 in great condition. However lately when I depress the window button on the driver side to roll up the window all the way, it rolls up halfway but then reverses itself and roll all the way down again. I have to repeat it a couple of times to get the window rolled all the way up. It almost appears as if it thinks that it encountered an obstacle and reverses itself.

Has anyone had such a problem and what trouble may it be?

Thanks

Reply to
dchou4u

sounds like a bad switch?

Reply to
NYLexSC

I haven't had that problem, but it may be that the pathway for the window (inside the door) is obstructed. There's a safety circuit in case your hand/arm is in the way. An obstruction would trigger that circuit.

Reply to
David Z

Most likely, the regulator needs to be greased or the tracks lubed with silicone. The reversing function is a safety feature that is supposed to prevent someone getting caught in the window during the auto up sequence. You can either raise the window without using the auto up function or try freeing up where it is binding.

Reply to
Ray O

When that happens on a luxury car, you just roll the window down. Then depress the switch just halfway down and roll it up. Then when it gets up, push the switch all the way down. The half way position is the manual position, and the full down position is the auto position. That procedure reprograms the circuits. At least on an over-engineered luxury car that is how you fix the problem. Not sure the Lexus has that capability. Try it and let us know. I doubt the shop guys will know about it if you ask.

Reply to
mcbrue