Winter Tires for 2006 GS300 AWD

Which is the better choice? 225/50-R17 (standard summer tire size) or a slightly narrower tire (such as 215/55-R17) as a snow tire?

Reply to
Jay Somerset

A narrower tire will tend to hydroplane less in slush and sink down to the pavement a little better in snow.

Reply to
Ray O

A follow-up question...

A 205/55-R17 will give the same speedometer reading as the OE

225/50-R17 tire, while the 215/55-R17 tire will have a small error. Can the narrower 205 tire be mounted on the original rims, or do I have to go with the 215 if I want to be narrower than the 225?
Reply to
Jay Somerset

It depends on the specific tire you choose. If you go to tirerack.com and look up 205/55-R17 tires, the tire spec section will who the acceptable rim widths for the specific tire. Then, look up the rim width for your car to see if it falls within the range for the tire you choose.

Reply to
Ray O

Hi Ray, I have heard horror stories about Lexus owners replacing their run flat tires (2006 GS300 AWD) with regular tires, because of the tire pressure sensors need to be replaced or recalibrated and the procedure outlined in the owner's manual does not always work. If I go to the Lexus dealer for tire replacement, it will probably be done correctly but at a steep prices, otherwise I would just drive the loaner vehicle until they get it right. If I go to a tire shop, I am afraid they might not be able to reset the pressure sensors correctly.

Would appreciate your response to the above comments...

/Nick

Reply to
kitzler

I believe that run-flat tires require special rims to retain the tire bead when running flat, so I don't know if a conventional tire can be mounted on wheels designed to be used with run-flat tires. If that is the case, you would have to purchase different wheels. Calibrating tire pressure sensors should not be that big a deal.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for the prompt response Ray, actually when I had my car serviced last year, the Lexus rep. indicated it would not be a problem switching to regular tires, as opposed to run-flats, of course he did not say whether I would need new rims, so thanks for the warning Ray, I'll keep that in mind. My biggest worry was actually making sure the tire pressure sensors would not cause undue warning lights to come on, but you seem to think "it is no big deal", so I feel better about it.......... thanks again, Ray!

Reply to
kitzler

I do not think it will be a big deal to initialize the tire pressure sensors because run-flat tires do not run at significantly different pressures than conventional tires. It shouldn't take more than a minute to set the sensors.

Good luck with your new tires!

Reply to
Ray O

Just put on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's -- in size 215/55-17. Yes, you can still find them in some dealers' stocks, but they are getting harder to find.

The difference over the OE 225/50-17 Dunlop SP2050s is AMAZING. No more wandering side to side with each change in road camber. And above

40 mph, they are just as quiet as the Dunlop summer tires.

When the Dunlops came off, after just over 20,000 KM (12,500 miles) they were worn to within a millimeter of the tread warning bars. Good for about 3000 more miles, at most. I have _never_ seen such poor mileage from a tire! I can't believe Lexus would specify these as OE.

I'm open to suggestions for next summer, as to what I brand I should put on, and whether it might make sense to stick with the slightly narrower 215/55-17s in a summer or all-season design?

Reply to
Jay Somerset

I don't have a recommendation but I do have a nonrecommendation. Michelin Harmony, Destiny. They may wear well but their traction and handling does not agree whit their ratings with me on a GS 300 and 400.

***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kGb in the reply to address as shown above.

Reply to
KG