XM satellite for LS 430

Just purchased a new LS 430 that is XMS "ready", but needs the receiver/antenna. The dealer wants to charge $2000. Anyone know where to get one other than from Lexus?

Reply to
KPFresno

Your dealer is way out of line on price. I just had this done by my Lexus dealer. The kit including tuner, antenna, harness, and trim panel (trunk) is about $500. Installation is two hour or $200. The total cost was just over $700. Pioneer does have a similar non Lexus tuner but it has different connectors and interface. You are almost locked into Lexus if you want to avoid an "add-on" look. The installation has been done by some owners. See Club Lexus site.

Reply to
Frank Fitzgerald

I have as 2004 LS430 which is satellite radio ready. I went to ordder it and they tell me they have to put a nenother antenna on the car which will ruin the look of the cr. My question is whether or not the satellite antenna on the roof for the GPS cab be used as a setelite antenna? If not what did the antenna they put on your car look like? Is it big? Is it sticking up from the trunk? My wife wants to know before we do it. Audi designed there roof antena to accomodate sat. rdio and buying a car that is sat ready in my mind means innstalling a board and hooking it up to the antenna.

Reply to
Mike

Lexus says the roof mounted Lexus link antenna cannot be used for Satellite radio. There is no lead wire from it back to the trunk where the XM tuner is mounted. They put the antenna on the left edge of the trunk lid about half way back. The position is determined by a template and is relative to the location of trunk braces. The antenna is a flat 2"x2"x 3/4" thick box. It looks like the little box the phone company used to mount on the baseboard to hook up your phone before they went modular. It is a black color. I took a color sample of my car and got a non metallic Rustoleum gloss enamel which was a close match. The dealer painted the antenna before installing it. It does not stick out so much as the black one would have. I have a gold car. The location is good as far as performance goes. I have no drop outs or reception problems. If you paint the antenna make sure you use non metallic paint. The antenna is not Lexus engineering at it's finest.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Fitzgerald

Sounds as if your Nav needs to be calibrated. Check your manual...there is an option to calibrate your system.

CR

Reply to
Cyberspace Raider