03 Fiesta leaking

I have an 03 5 door Fiesta, and the rear passenger footwell is full of water on the drivers side. I have checked the seals on both doors on that side, and they seem OK. I had a look at it tonight (it's raining), and cannot feel any wetness around the doors. Is there anywhere else that water could be coming in? I am assuming it is not a hole inthe footwell because the water is pooling there.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

[...]

I'm not very familiar with this Fiesta, does it have a sunroof ? if so check that the drains are not blocked.

Reply to
James

If you have a sunroof then it is likely that the drain is blocked, this fills the sill and leaks in at any point it can, in your case the rear footwell.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Fiesta's are famous for this problem. As well as checking the sunroof drainage, check that windscreen run off section (just above the wiper motors, under the wipers) is clear of any blockages. I found that when I cleared all the dead leaves, compost and other shit from there the footwell flooding stopped.

Otherwise it's have to be a talcum powder job to see where it's coming in from and take it from there....

Reply to
Solarwind

It has no sunroof, and the front footwell is dry (there is a raised beam shape in the floor separating the front and back under the drivers seat). I will check for rubbish though, and try some kind of "water has been here" indicator - how do you do the talcum powder - squeeze the container to make a cloud, and hope it sticks? Is it easy to clean up (when damp)? We have a cig lighter powered mini hoover for when it dries out. Would masking tape get water marks on it?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

It has no sunroof, and the front footwell is dry (there is a raised beam shape in the floor separating the front and back under the drivers seat). I will check for rubbish though, and try some kind of "water has been here" indicator - how do you do the talcum powder - squeeze the container to make a cloud, and hope it sticks? Is it easy to clean up (when damp)? We have a cig lighter powered mini hoover for when it dries out. Would masking tape get water marks on it?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

check that the drain holes in the sill are clear, use a bit of wire to poke up into the sill where the little slots are, there are about five drain holes on each side of the car. the sill can fill from spray from the rear wheel, some fords have a rubber bung just in frot of the rear wheel.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That sounds like it could be it (no sign of water when I checked tonight - could be coming from under the trim) - are the drain holes visible from the outside, or do I have to reach under and out of sight to get to them?

Does the rubber bung go missing and let water in, or is it to be removed to let water out / clean the inside?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

from the outside, along the bottom edge of the sill, the metal is made into a little lump to give an opening.. The rubber bung can go missing, it is there for build purposes only AFAIK

Reply to
Mrcheerful

WhatCar says water leaks are common in this model due to faulty pollen filters.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Woo hooot I got one right ... like a weakest link moment when you guess a questions answer ... ahem

Reply to
James

true, but usually that would get in the front first

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I had a feel along the inside of the sill. I found 4 rubber bungs on the other side of the sill, and no holes for missing bungs. I did not find any drain holes though. Where are they? I removed one of the bungs expecting water to come out, but it was dry as a bone in there, so I think the drain holes must be clear.

There is a fastener with a large washer that looks like the front of a jet engine in the rear wheel arch, but no bung or hole in the arch.

Could the door seal be leaking even though it looks intact? I was thinking that with age, the round cross sectioned seal could loose its shape and not totally fill the gap. The second "gutter and downpipe" seal looks like it seals against the top of the door frame OK. Time to try dragging a strip of paper around the door in its closed position?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

I have seen the window leaking water onto the door card, it then drips off the door card onto the carpet. get the hose out.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Contrary to what I said, the front is wet wasn't checked under the mat). It is not sickly sweet, and the radiator water level is OK. Putting water on just the windscreen results in water draining down into the wheel arch drain holes (both sides tested), so the front gutter is not blocked.

Tested both doors - the drain holes in the doors are clear.

Water all over the top - no sign of leakage. Water drains to the front and back down the gutter.

Water all over the window - no sign of leakage.

After all the side testing, there was no water on the inside side of the rubber seals. The "gutter" seal seems to be keeping most of the water out, and that that does get past is draining along and down the drain pipe portion. The inner seal remains dry on the portion of the door guarded by the gutter.

Previously, water has been found on the back seat, and on the face of the lower half of the door card. I have not seen it, but I would think it is dripping onto the seat and splashing onto the door. The window was closed properly when the water was found. There are no water marks on the roof lining.

All this was tested with a watering can - not too keen on getting drenched with the hosepipe spray in this weather. Will try blasting with hose pipe another time to test with more force.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

I think I have found it - in the drivers footwell on the wall of the centre console it has a film of stinky water today. Since the windscreen drains away OK, and the coolant is not low, I am suspecting the AC drip tray is blocked or the pollen filter is soggy. Where do the pollen filter and AC drip tray live?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

I think the pollen filter should live somewhere behind the glovebox compartment. Usually accesible from the front of the engine bay along the scuttle panel bit.

I thought you checked the pollen filter ?

Reply to
James

I was misinformed and was told the front was dry. When I had a look at it myself, it was wet underneath the mats. Also, I think the wet on the back seat/half way up the door card is a red herring from the window being left open a crack.

Where is the AC drip tray?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith