04 Honda Jazz, engine light on. Common causes?

A friend of mine at work has just bought this car. 2 days after getting it, the yellow 'gearbox shaped' engine warning light came on. She took it back and the dealer'fixed' it. They claim to have put a new battery in, but what that would do to help I don't know. Anyway, another 2 days later and it's come back on again. Then today, a week later, she asks me.

I've advised her to get a diagnostic code from a local repairers who have a good reputation where I work. Then take that to the dealer, claim the cost, and get whatever it is fixed.

In the meantime, any hints as to common causes would be apprecieated. Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Is it auto or manual?

Reply to
James

if it has the vtec engine (all?) then apparently (and worryingly) a common cause (according to autodata) is low oil level which affects the variable valve timing and puts the light on.

realistically you need to get the codes read to get a clue.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I didn't think to ask and I haven't been anywhere near it to see. I'll try to find out. Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

At least low oil is easy to cure. Or, does it cause some sort of permanent timing change?

Indeed. Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Barnard