04 Meriva electrics funnies.

Hi all,

Sorry if this comes though again but I posted earlier from my Android phone via Eternal September but it seems they may be having issues.

The Mrs went out in the 60k 04 1.6 petrol Meriva this morning and 90 mins later when she tried to return the thing wouldn't start. She phoned me but didn't seem able to hear / distinguish / describe the difference between something turning over but not starting and the starter solenoid not pulling in (flat battery etc)? [1]

So, I drove up to meet her (only a couple of miles) and when I got there she had managed to start it (she tried it again after a read of her Kindle as she predicted it would start 'when I got there' ).

I followed her home and when we got home she mentioned the battery light had come on for the last half of the trip?

I stuck a DMM on and the voltage lifted from ~13 to just to about

14.5V with the engine running (alternator ok?).

I then ran it to my mates garage (noting it was a bit hesitant starting) and stuck his discharge tester on it. It held around 10V for a good 10 seconds (when I released it).

The battery was a genuine Vauxhall one and Dad stopped going to the Vauxhall dealer when they closed (as he might) and I don't think my mate would have fitted a Vauxhall branded battery if one was needed. So, based on the fact that it was probably old, not too expensive and easy to replace, we went and got a new battery and put it on charge pre fitting. On the way back though (again, only a coupe of miles) the battery light came on again and this time I noticed the speedo and rev counter dropping to zero for a few seconds before recovering for the rest of the journey.

I've now fitted the new battery and tested the old one for capacity (I have a fancy meter for such things) and (FWIW) it only reads 18Ah (so probably getting a bit tired in any case). [2]

She's going out in it again tonight so we will see if there are still any issues.

So, that's the background so far so my question is: Is there anything 'common / likely' (to this make / model especially) that goes wrong that would give such symptoms (especially the speedo / rev-counter dying briefly), other than (if ever) a battery please?

Cheers, T i m

[1] Are any women good at sound effects? [2] So not dead, o/c or h/r but could be intermittent and definitely looks like it's lost capacity (as they do in time etc).
Reply to
T i m

First looked at should be all battery connections and earth points, especially the ones to the engine, don't assume that because it is tight it is ok electrically.

this person seems to have the identical fault, or is it you?:

Mrcheerful

Understood.

No, it's not me (first post here about it).

I've just done two 1/2 mile trips and the ignition light came on in exactly the same place as it did (for me) last time and that was just after some speed ramps (so possibly vibration induced)?

I'll go over all the connections as you suggest (no harm / cost either way) and see how it all goes.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Just a bit of an update after getting the OBD dongle yesterday (but not info from it as such).

Sitting in the car outside the house with the engine idling, the battery light came on about 3 times (in reasonably quick succession (5 mins each time). Switching off and restarting cleared the light each time. Then, it seemed to stay off as the engine was getting up to temp. I hadn't actually got the Torque app up and running by then (to be able to watch the volts *as* the battery light came on) but once I had the battery voltage hardly deviated away from 14.4 volts the whole time (even with the battery light on). Revving or loading the engine had no impact either.

So, could it be a thermal issue? I've not driven the car far / long since the problem started (for good reason etc) so don't have any real info how it might perform once everything is up to temp.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I cannot hazard a guess, but a google for similar syptoms shows that a lot of people have very similar problems, some of which seem to be pointing at the 'body control module'

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes, I found those as well and even looked up such on eBay. It seems that 40 quid would get me a 'divorced' one and then I'm guessing I would have to take it to Vauxhall to get it programmed in? If that is all correct, any idea how much that might cost please?

Cheers, (and thanks again) T i m

Reply to
T i m

I am no expert on whether they need pairing, but if they do then around

80 quid at a vauxhall dealer, but a good independent could do it probably cheaper, there are some about.
Reply to
Mrcheerful

I was just going on the fact they seem to mention the terms 'divorced' and 'reset' on the eBay listings

Ok, and thanks again.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m