05 ford focus drivers

beware, if u drive a 05 focus, brought my 05 focus to ford garage today as i could hear a knocking noise and it was driving me mad, i thought it was coming from rear of the car, took service manager for spin so he could hear it, he said even before getting into the car that he had an idea what it might be! turns out that all ford garages had be warned recently about a problem with front suspension, believe it or not the wrong type of grease was used on some part of it and this causes a knocking sound! front suspension was replaced under warranty, however he told me that there was not going to be a recall but if you complain about a knocking noise they will cover it!

Reply to
mickeymuffin

Nowhere near as bad as the doors falling off 05 registered Astras made in Ellesmere Port. On a number of cars the doors have been spot welded in error. If you have an Astra with an 05 plate I suggest you check all the doors out to make sure they are welded correctly at the hinges! Vauxhall are not classing it as a recall yet, but a number of doors have "fallen off" when any weight was put on them - for example someone leaning on the door while it was opened.

Reply to
bronco

Every major manufacturer has these problems from time to time. If you were to ever sit and read the complete list of known issues, you'd be paranoid about what might be wrong with your own car.

I'd be far more concerned if you drove a vw from a few years ago that's fitted with side airbags ;-)

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Moray Cuthill Every major manufacturer has these problems from time to time. If you were

Bloke at work's diesel Focus destroyed its engine the other day. He says the garage told him the water pump had disintegrated taking the engine with it and that it's a common fault. Not one I've heard before. (He's not very mechanically minded, so I'm wondering if it was actually the diesel pump.)

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke (oss108no snipped-for-privacy@bangor.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Water pump's usually driven off the cambelt, though...

Reply to
Adrian

Most engines in Fords these days aren't. I can't think of any that are, actually.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

You're right, that sounds more likely, doesn't it. He was talking about bits coming off and churning around the inside of the engine so I assumed at the time he was refering to the impeller breaking up, which seemed odd. Then afterwards I did a google and found this:

"A problem has been identified with the diesel pump and wear to the rollers and shoes. This is caused by insufficient bedding in when the car is new. This can also create small metal particles to contaminate the diesel and damage many components including the injectors."Dunno. It's not a subject I really want to raise with him again, as he's not having a good week!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke (oss108no snipped-for-privacy@bangor.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

At least it'll still be in warranty, though...

Reply to
Adrian

Hardly. It was a few years old. Still, he gets paid considerably more than me.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke (oss108no snipped-for-privacy@bangor.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'm getting confused with the subject line.

Can I go back to bed now?

Reply to
Adrian

"A problem has been identified with the diesel pump and wear to the > rollers and shoes. This is caused by insufficient bedding in when the car > is new. This can also create small metal particles to contaminate the > diesel and damage many components including the injectors."> Dunno. It's not a subject I really want to raise with him again, as he's > not having a good week! The diesel pump issue was a well known fault, and affected a very broad range of ford diesels, but it just meant the engine cut-out.

It's most likely the water pump bearings have collapsed with the result the cam belts failed, but thinking about it, it was only the 1.8 diesel that was used in the focus a few years ago. And that only had a belt from the injection pump to camshaft. It was a chain from the crank to pump, and the waterpump was driven of the alternator belt.... Off course, if I've got the years mixed up, it may well have one of the newer PSA engines, which do have a cam belt driven water pump.

Reply to
moray