05 Micra Power Steering Pump

Only got a bit of the story, because its from a woman friend who knows nothing about cars - her Micra power steering isn't working.

She has been quoted £1500 as 'something to do with the steering rack has failed, a really uncommon fault'...sounds like a LOT of money for a smallish problem - any comments?

Reply to
Paul

Conventional hydraulic PAS, or an electrical column?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I don't even know what an electrical column is - can ask her but I doubt she will be any the wiser either - whats the difference so I can explain? cheers

Reply to
Paul

I'd take it somewhere else for a second butchers.

Reply to
Thelibrarian

Conventional PAS uses a hydraulic pump driven from the engine, to provide hydraulic assistance to the steering rack. The disadvantage is that the pump runs all the time, needing power that comes from the fuel.

More modern systems use a steering column with an electric motor in it, together with electronic control systems to make the degree of assistance speed-dependent. Essentially, they are an aid to reduced fuel consumption.

More info here:

When electrical columns fail, replacement is usually the only option, and is not cheap. £1500 seems a bit much though!

You probably need to post more details about the fault and what's been diagnosed for further help.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Cheers for that, I'll need to quiz her some more for model etc. I think the symptom is no assistance at all.

Reply to
Paul

Just found a big thread on honestjohns with loads of these problems getting resolved either by a simple reset of at worst a recon motor for £200...

Reply to
Paul