09 fiesta 1.6 TDCI - Lumpy Idle when cold (ish)

All

After a bit of advise...

I bought an 09 Fiesta about 4 months ago, all is fine apart from poor idlin= g for no more than 45-seconds to a minute when cold.

In the cold snap we had just before xmas I too it back to the dealer (left = it with them a week), who sent it to a local ford dealership. The diagnose= d it as needing a "software update" - which they say had fixed it.

Well it's still there. The sumptoms are:

Start if up in the morning (it was 5C this morning) and you can hear and fe= el it missing for about 10 seconds and a fair amount of white smoke, so unb= urnt fuel, out of the exhaust. After that, it idles smoothly. If I gently= rev up to 2K I can still see is occasionally missing (rev needle dips) and= also feel it. =20

Take it for a drive of no more than a mile, and it's perfect, start perfect= ly and not a single miss.

Throughout, it always starts 1st time with no extended cranking.

After leaving it for 30 mins to cool right down again and trying again, we = are back at square one.

On colder mornings, the missing feels worse for maybe 20-30 seconds.

I'm assuming (with my limited knowledge) it's a failed glow plug, but would= the effects of this last for that long after starting?

I'll be getting on to the dealers again, but would appreciate a few pointer= s so I can nudge him into the right direction.

Thanks

Steven

Reply to
Steven Langdale

glow plugs would be the first thing, decent fuel and fuel filter next, faulty injector was actually my first thought, but the others should be checked first. I assume the car is out in the open overnight? so make sure the dealer is actually leaving the car outside before trying it in the morning, if they are keeping it in the workshop then everything will be a few degrees warmer than it would normally be.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks for the feedback MR C!

Spoken to them again, described it again and have videos.

It's back in on Saturday.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Steven

Reply to
Steven Langdale

Update...

Went to get the car on Saturday, they said it was a leaky injector seal. It does run a bit quieter, so there may well have been a leaking one. Unfortunately the original fault is still there and VERY apparent.

So much for "Yes sir, it's all fixed - we've started it every morning and it's been perfect"

So it's still with the dealer.

Reply to
Steven Langdale

does run a bit quieter, so there may well have been a leaking one. Unfortunately the original fault is still there and VERY apparent.

I'd be inclined to put some injector cleaner in it and see how it responds after a decent run. At least it will eliminate something.

Reply to
Arty Effem

The leaky injector seals are a very common fault, but they don't usually (at first) make any odds to the running.

Reply to
Mrcheerful