1.1 fiesta starting problem

hi and please help me. i got a 1.1 m reg fiesta that starts if it can be bothered. when you go to start it some times it starts and when it dont if you hold the key in the start position it goes to start and then it want. just by holding at the start position cranking it over it will start after a lot off coughing and spluttering 20-30mins then run fine. the car hasnt been started for a few days now and wont unless you sit in it for 20-30 mins just turning it over so can any one help me

Reply to
wenborne

First thing I'd suspect is the high tension system (faulty plug leads especially). Wipe over the plug insulators too. With engine sitting cold for some time, dampness can condense and short out the spark. This is especially important where a car has been exposed to salt spray near the coast.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

i have sprayed all the plugs leads and electrical wires with wd40. the car does get used daily and dont missfire witch i wood off thought wood happen with faulty ht leads. i have had a sensor replaced under the inlet manafold (this car has single point injection) as i thought it was a problem starting cold. some one said about the crank sensor has it has some thing to do with fuelling and the spark?????????

Reply to
wenborne

Humidity effects on HT components can be limited to the first start of the day. I'll leave the ECU possibilities to someone who knows more about this car.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Reply to
stephen morgan

I suppose you've cleaned and gapped the plugs?

Has it done this since you've owned it? How do you start it? Are you using the accelerator at all when you try to start it?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot