1.9 405 Mi16 non-cold starter

If I stop the engine and start it again soon it's ok but if I leave it a good few hours after I last drove it does this: the starter motor will turn the engine but that's all it's doing. There's no ignition so it just doesn't fire up. I guess either there's no fuel or no spark. The engine will start very very reluctantly via bump starting. Earlier on tonight I had to be pushed by the girlfriend and a lad, in

2nd, slowly let the clutch up, engine coughed and splutered (rev needle at 500 rpm) then died. Tried again and this time it shot into life.

So has anyone else had or got this? I know I need to do a thorough check of all ignition components etc but if anyone else has had this I wouldn't mind knowing the cause. The brass monkey weather makes one wanna stay indoors :-)

Cheers Kris

Reply to
Kris

How's your battery voltage? The Mototronic ecu will turn off at (I think) 10.5volts, so if your battery loses a couple of volts due to warped plates or a dead cell, this could be the cause. This could drop below the magic voltage with the starter in use, but when you bump start it, be enough to get it going.

Only a thought

I'm discovering some bizarre behaviour. Left for a day or more the engine will burst into life literally 1 second after turning the key. And does the same if restarted very shortly after last being run. But it seems if the engine is left from about half an hour to 16 hours she's either slow to start or wont start at all. Well at least from the above I can see that it's not the fuel pump.

Reply to
Kris

The battery terminals are corroded.

Reply to