106 belt

Smelt rubber burning in my 1999 106 zest 2 last night and then today my brother said he could hear a squeaking comming from the engine. Turned off the music and i could hear it too

He said it would be the fan belt and it would be easy to change. Is he right?

When i looked in my haynes manual i couldnt find anything except a mention of a timing belt in the cooling system, is this the same thing?

Reply to
jcuddeford

a timing belt is not the tfan belt

a timing belt drives the valves and sometimes the waterpump.

a fan belt drives the altinator,

Reply to
banjo

So is this problem likely to be the fan belt then? Do you have any help on how to check/change it?

Reply to
jcuddeford

burning smell and squeaking is usually the 'fan' belt, more correctly known as the auxiliary or alternator belt these days. look on the end of the engine, you will see the belt, inspect it and check its tension, look in your manual for details.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

It's called the auxiliary drive belt in the Haynes BoL. The diesel one is easy to re tension/change but the tensioning bolts are caphead screws and need allen keys to adjust and a big hammer to persuade to loosen. The petrol version may well be easier. Haynes talk a load of bollocks about adjusting the diesel belt.

Reply to
malc

Haynes said i need to jack it up and take the front wheel off !! I dont see why i need to do that though, gonna drive half way up a kerb tomorrow and take a look at it, as this is probably safer than relying on my spare wheel jack.

Reply to
jcuddeford

They do and it's rubbish. You only need to get under the car so wheel ramps are good enough (or a high enough kerb). The only thing you need to remove the wheel for would be to get a spanner on the crankshaft to turn it to examine the belt and there are other, easier ways than that.

Reply to
malc

when driving home earlier i smelt the burning smell again, but when i got home and opened the bonnet the smell had vanished

The belt looks to be in good condition now worn or slack. What could be causing the burning? is it definately the belt?

Reply to
jcuddeford

You're not driving past the Springfield tyre yard fire are you?

In the morning put the lights and rear window heater on then start the engine or vice versa. Rev up and if the belt's loose it will slip and squeal.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc