12v impact wrench

I've been contemplating etting an impact wrench and spotted a 12v one that plugs in to a 12v outlet. Might be handy for jobs on the car whilst I know its not a great and a windy one or electric one could be handy for odd jobs on the car. Like removing wheels bolts, subframe bolts etc.

I spotted one on ebay for £20 just wondering if you think its worth it or if I should plump up for a semi decent cordless or electric one, bearing in mind it will be used once ina blue moon.

Reply to
Adam

At 20 quid, it'll be junk.

Around £100 gets a decent one from Machine Mart - I bought one last summer and don't regret it one bit.

Reply to
SteveH

  1. Do 12v impact wrenches have enough torque in the first place?

  1. 20 quid is very cheap but after you compare it with a known brand of

12v wrenches and its about the same specs. the choice would be yours.

  1. If its sparingly used I would rather have a decent socket set. The only thing that I use an impact wrench is to remove wheels. but if they are tight an impact wrench may not work and the socket set comes out with a big bar.

Reply to
Rob

The 20 quid 12 volt one is likely rather different from a cordless impact driver. It basically runs up to speed then whacks the nut in a rotary way. Not like the cordless type which can be used as a power nut spinner as well, and only starts whacking it when it gets above a certain torque.

I have one of those 12 volt ones bought from Maplin. It does what it says on the tin - undid the crank pulley bolt on my auto without any trouble. Only other way would have been to lock the crank and use a breaker bar, as it's torqued up to about 200 ft.lb.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can put either a socket and bar or a ring spanner on that and turn the key with the end of the spanner on the chassis. That will undo the bolt.

Reply to
Rob

Somehow I'd rather use my cheap impact driver.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would have like a decent one, but for my needs and cost I ended up ordering it last night. I could spend say a £100 on a machinemart jobbie, would be tons better but I only would touch it once twice a year doing odd jobs. Most of the time I'll be using a socket on a bar but there will be times when something like this will do the job of say for example swapping out wishbones on the mk4 golf or jobs where there are really tight bolts. My only worry having never used one is it will be too agressive for some tasks where it would be best suits using ratchet/bar/socket but experience will educate me on that one.

Reply to
Adam

A cheap air compressor with a big tank & a cheap pneumatic wrench will =

outlast an electric one in that environment & have more talk.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

An impact driver is actually less likely to shear a bolt when undoing one. And less likely to round off the head.

I have an electric impact driver. It beats a normal screwdriver hands down for removing normal slotted woodscrews from say a door hinge where they've been painted over. It just zaps them out - whereas a hand screwdriver is more likely just to chew it up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This 12 volt one is about the size of a mains electric drill so easy to transport and store. Unlike any decent compressor. Of course if you have a reasonably sized garage/workshop, a compressor is nice to have. Mainly for other uses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)