16 valve

Just to settle a little argument:

Does a 4 cylinder engine with 16 valves (or more) automatically mean that it is a DOHC (twin cam) ?

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham

No, my Mitsu Carisma has a 16 valve single ohc engine.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen A. Smith

Honda had a SOHC triple valve engine. Sweet little lump, that, from what I remember. (Dad had one in his MkI Accord)

It's also true that DOHC doesn't mean it's going to have 16 valves (or any other multiple of 4 per cylinder).

Reply to
SteveH

I would say with 99% of 16 valve engines, they are twin cam.

GGG

"Stephen A. Smith" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:c9vnqr$am8$ snipped-for-privacy@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...

Reply to
GGG

and about 90% of twin cam engines are 16V :)

Reply to
dojj

No. Examples include the Honda D series as fitted to loads of Mk2 Rover

200s/400s which were 16 valves and SOHC. The GTi version was 16v and DOHC and made a little more power.

I expect there are others too.

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

Andrew Ratcliffe ( snipped-for-privacy@ukgateway.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Dolomite Sprint, back in the 70s. A little more modern, and going the other way, Subarus have four cams...

Reply to
Adrian

Seems to be very much a minority thing. Google turned up small Hondas, Mitsubishi, and Chrysler. In Honda's case, it is almost certainly related to the economy-oriented VTEC implementations.

Reply to
John Laird

The new Mini using the Chrysler engine is a SOHC operating 16 valves. A twin cam head wouldnt fit under the bonnet!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.