1988 Volvo 340 DL

Hi all,

I'm thinking of trying to get my 1988 (E) 340 DL back onto the road. It's (she - Astrid :) been on my drive for 4 - 5 years with no probs eforehand - other than a lack of spondoolics on my part - well maintained, FSH etc. etc.

I just wondered if anyone had any pointers as to getting this particular vehicle/model going again - pitfalls and the like.

Thanks for any help in advance [1]

Steveski

-- We are Pentium. Division is futile. You will be approximated.

[1] Or retard . . . sorry . . . I'l get me coat :-)
Reply to
Steveski

It'll only be worth £150 or so once it's running, if it's in decent nick. So if there's much wrong with it, it might not be worth bothering. If you've let the tyres crack and perish, you could soon be shelling out a decent proportion of what the car's worth...

Reply to
Doki

If it`s a CVT model the belts may be perished - not an easy DIY job though much easier if you can get it over a pit or get/bodge a special tool.

Idle solenoids can get sticky on the 1.4 weber carb - will not idle without choke.

Fuel lines arond the tank and expansion tank in the boot also perish. It will smell and possibly leak if you fill it

The rear light clusters may need to have their contacts cleaned up to prevent intermittent problems caused by corrosion of the aluminium strips.

Usually just the "car been standing for years" type stuff .

Not worth a great deal, but solid (if not rusty!), comfortable and reliable enough for a car of it`s time.

Have a look on the VOC site.

Will

Reply to
gribblechips

Thanks for that, Doki, but I'm not worried about what it's worth - it's a sentimental thing :-)

Steveski

Reply to
Steveski

Nope, it's that lovely, slack, wobbly rear box . . . :-)

Didn't know that - thanks.

Indeed - even happens in service :-)

Yes - only two small spots of (surface) rust have appeared in the time it's been off of the road - love it. As I said to Doki, this is a labour of love (who knows - maybe Concours condition one day [1] ).

Good batting, Thinkman

Thanks for your help, Will

Steveski

Reply to