1989 Passat 1.6TD Starter motor

Hi,

Just got a replacement starter for my 1989 G-reg Passat 1.6 Diesel turbo. I've got the old starter off OK, but how the hell do I get the bolts to go back in? They go in about 3/4 of the way and then don't want to budge at all. It looks like they screw into a hole on the engine mounting, which is now out of alignment. If a long thin screwdriver is put down there, it's obvious that something is not lined up properly - how do I get the holes to line up?

There must be a trick to this.. they were there holding the old starter in..

Thanks for any help! regards Mike

Reply to
Captain Caralho