1990 Ford Orion 1.6i Petrol Tank Removal

All, Apparently the fuel pump (in the top of the tank) in my 1990 Ford Orion 1.6i Ghia has given up and so needs replacing. The problem is, the tank is proving very stubborn to get off to actually get at the plate with the pump on. The 'not very helpful' Haynes book (I refuse to call it a manual) says: "Brush away all adhering dirt and disconnect the tank filler pipe and vent pipes from the tank pipe stubs. Additionally on 1986 models onwards, disconnect the filler vent pipe".

I've managed to get the hoses at the front of the tank (one braided, one plastic) disconnected (ok, I ended up cutting them but they should be easy enough to replace), however the fuel filler pipe is being very very stubborn and refusing to come off. So.. What's the best way to get this off and are there likely to be any issues with the rest of the process of removing the pump (requires a special tool and seal?), replacing it and refitting the tank.

My dad has suggested either heating up the joing with a soldering iron (to soften the plastic(?) of the filler pipe, or alternatively soaking a cloth in boiling water and wrapping it around the joint to soften/loosen the thing.

Thanks, Sean.

Reply to
Sean Meacher

I took off one of these a month or two ago. The filler pipe should be removed by undoing it at the top where the cap is and removing the bolt that secures it to the chassis rail, undo all the cable ties and any jubilee clips you can get at, spray some wd40 where the pipe pushes into the tank and pull the pipe out of the tank, you will be amazed at how much pipe is in the tank. On no account use a soldering iron anywhere near petrol.

The one I did was a carb one so the pump isn't in the tank, but it is usually straightforward once the tank is off. The pipes you have cut may be a problem since the feed is under 40 psi pressure. No leaks or dampness is vital.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks, This is what I was thinking seeing as there was no obvious way to get the tank off on its own. Looks like taking the wheel off would help with access too... :)

The 'thinner' tube had devloped a kink from (someone else) undoing the tank straps so I thought it would be better to properly replace it on refitting rather than possible problems with petrol under pressure later on.

Sean.

Reply to
Sean Meacher

I once removed a fuel tank on a Sierra (donkeys years ago). The fuel filler pipe push fits into the hole in the top of the tank, there being a rubber-like seal fitted to said hole. Filler pipe simply pulls out of the tank.

I don't remember removing the filler pipe on the Sierra (dropping the tank downwards was all I had to do) - but it may be different on the Escort/Orion...

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

You can drag the tank off on the Orion without removing the pipe but it is not easy and I would guess impossible to reassemble. The filler pipe is very easy to remove, so why try another way?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful