1994/1995 Escort AirBag

I have a problem with my 1994/1995 escort.

The Air bag light is flashing i`ve looked a round and noticed the flash is a code, however mine come on goes of comes on goes off. Its a constant

*-*-*-*-*-*.

Anybody got any ideas? Could i fix this myself or should i stay away.

Ta TEMP

Reply to
TEMP

I don't know if this is appropriate for your escort or not, but on my dad's last one he was told it was a common fault and always happened and indeed he says he's seen it on lots of escorts, his was 95. Anyway, check and clean all the seatbelt tensioner thingymbobs as apparently the contacts get dirty and knackered.

Reply to
P Latham

MadCrazyNewbie ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Is that a trick question? They're in the seatbelt buckles.

Disconnect the battery, and leave the car for half an hour to let the capacitors discharge.

Reply to
Adrian

Just out of intrest, as my 94 keeps flashing every now and again, where are the seatbelt tensioners?

Also isn`t there a risk of deployment if you disconnect your airbag?

Ta MCN

Reply to
MadCrazyNewbie

I'd have thought they were under the seat somewhere (the ones I've seen on other cars are.)

Reply to
Scott M

MadCrazyNewbie ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Stick your head under the seat and have a look.

They're not linked to the seat belt in that way. There'll be a control box somewhere in the dash or console. When it detects an accident big enough, it'll fire a current to the belt buckles and to the windbag, deploying both.

On start-up, there's a self-test signal sent to them both, to test they're still connected OK. In your case, the belt pre-tensioners aren't.

Reply to
Adrian

Reply to
MadCrazyNewbie

MadCrazyNewbie ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No. Windbag light isn't testable.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from "MadCrazyNewbie" contains these words:

They're usually a cylinder that runs fore and aft under the seat on the same side as the buckle.

Reply to
Guy King