1994 Astra 1.6 8V fails to start

This car has run reliably for 140,000 miles now all of a sudden is fails to start.

The engine cranks but won't fire up and run, the spark's are OK.

The only way to get it going is to remove the plugs - that are wetted with petrol, clean them, crank the open bores to expel the petrol, replace plugs and away it goes. Starts when warmed up of course.

Any ideas?

TIA

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

auto or manual choke stuffed.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

cold start problem , over fueling ? could be the temp sensor. but on those you'd be better off getting the thing plugged onto a diagnostic computer.

Reply to
reg

It's multi-port fuel injection

Reply to
Jerry

I thought I'd try new plugs first, for the diagnostics it means a costly trip to a Vauxhall dealership I guess?

Reply to
Jerry

not necessarily, try an independent garage, most have, as we do, some sort of diagnostic equipment, you have to keep up with the diagnostic game these days otherwise you get left behind.

Reply to
reg

I have tested the coolant temp. sensor:

100 Deg. C = 200 Ohms (steam of kettle) 22 Deg. C = 2800 Ohms (room temp.) 1 Deg. C = 6000 Ohms (iced water)

Jerry

Reply to
Jeremy Goff

Removed and cleaned coolant temperature sensor, checked all other sensor connectors, replaced spark plugs, now starts OK. But think I have water in the oil so head gasket time over Easter.

Also discovered how to read fault codes from ECU, only code 12 reading now so no problems.

Jerry

Reply to
Jeremy Goff