1994 Seat Ibiza Top Mount

Next stupid question...

The nearside front suspension top mount on my Ibiza needs changing. Getting the suspension leg out looks straightforward enough. But will changing the top mount require spring compression tools, or not? The ever-useless Haynes manual doesn't make it clear whether releasing the top mount will also release pressure from the springs or not.

Advice gratefully received.

Reply to
Nick Dobb

Dunno about an Ibiza but most macpherson struts will require the spring to be compressed before changing the top mount. Well not compressed as such but not allowed to expand. If you're feeling brave you could try tieing the spring together with cable ties ;-)

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

ive had a spring shoot out of spring compressors once & they had the security clamps on them !! not the sort of thing to messing about with if you haven't got the correct tools, could take yer head off if your not careful !

Reply to
reg

They'll snap. Unless It's a very unusual leg you can get the leg out complete with top mount without compressing the spring but changing the top mount will require compressing the spring. Personally I find it's way easier with 3 compressors than 2 (& much much easier with a cheap hydraulic one)

Reply to
Duncanwood

Ta for that. I've got two offers of loans of spring compressor sets, and if I attempt the job I think I'll borrow and fit *both* sets of compressors (i.e. total of four) just for safety. Ugly f***er though I am, I don't think a spring in the face will improve anything...

Reply to
Nick Dobb

Easy enough then. The tricky bit is normally releasing the tension, applying it it's somehow more intuitive to do it evenly.

Reply to
Duncanwood